When Adjectives Attack

By MMW

 So, read up and then use what you've learned to magnify the mighty Denver ATF.

--Closing line of the introduction from the Denver ATF Documentation web page

 Meredith's head hit her desk with a loud thunk - repeatedly. The small whimpering noises she was emitting served as a warning for the others in the office to leave her be.

 Sunni had tried a few minutes ago to tell her it really wasn't that bad, but after hearing several lines, she had run away in horror, thankful that it was Meredith and not her who had gotten this new task.

 "Why?" thunk

"Why?" thunk

"Why?" thunk

 It had been five minutes of this. The other Admins just shook their head in sympathy. Earlier that morning Orin Travis himself had come down and told them that due to budget cuts, their department was absorbing several IT positions. One of them was Web Content Editor. He had indicated that due to current work loads, background and previous evaluations, this job had been given to Meredith. Her first job was to read through all the current content on the Denver ATF website and make sure it was professional and presentable. It seemed there had been some complaints.

 Suppressing a sigh at having to add this new task to all of the ones she already had, Meredith decided to start with something that couldn't be that bad - documentation and manuals. How wrong could she be?  The only way to describe the horror that was the introductory page was that someone had taken a scatter-gun, filled it with adjectives and shot it at the page. There was no rhyme or reason to the nightmare that was the Documentation web page.

 Finally tiring of the pleading looks from everyone else in the department, Kat and Christine stood and walked over to the distraught woman. "Come on, Meredith," Kat soothed, "you need some fresh air." Taking her by the arm, Kat began leading the unresisting woman out of the building into the sunshine, followed by Christine who had made a cup of peppermint and chamomile tea in the hopes it would help Meredith relax.

 Taking the seat Kat indicated, Meredith looked up into the understanding eyes of the two women before her. "I've never seen anything so horrible," she said, taking a sip of tea. "It's…it's… it's like some sort of twisted motivational speaker on drugs or too much caffeine or something," she tried to explain. "I didn't know the English language could be so horribly mangled.

 Patting her shoulder consolingly, Chris said, "You take a few minutes before you come back." Then she and Kat turned to leave, thankful Orin hadn't chosen them for the 'honor' of editing the website.

 "Thanks," Meredith said quietly, relaxing back into the bench and turning her face toward the sun. Feeling the comforting warmth of the sunlight caress her face, she let her mind wander away from the horrors that were the website and onto more pleasant topics.

 Her mind wandered back to Saturday morning. Vin had spent the night in the guest room. As for herself, Meredith hadn't slept that well, her mind constantly questioning what the sharpshooter looked like while he slept. Little had she suspected she might get a glimpse.

 Having woken early, she got up and had just finished cooking the first of the pancakes when a shuffling noise caught her attention. Stepping back so she could see down the hall, she managed to suppress the laugh, but not the smile. Vin Tanner, deadly accurate with a gun, one of the best and most feared members of the Denver ATF looked like a little kid just waking up. His hair was sticking up in several directions, though he quickly tamed it by running his fingers through his hair. Meredith envied those fingers. As he wandered barefoot down the hall, he was using the heel of his hand to wipe the sleep from his half-closed eyes.

 "Mornin'," he managed before a gaping yawn claimed his attention.

 "Good morning yourself," Meredith replied. "I'm afraid I don't have any coffee to offer you," she apologized.

 "It's not coffee I'm interested in," Vin replied, voice suddenly pitched lower than usual and filled with desire, his previously sleep-weighted eyes now intently focused on her and burning with passion.

 Feeling her heartbeat quicken, Meredith's eyes grew wider. It was very clear exactly what Vin wanted and it had nothing to do with ground beans or the flour and egg concoction she'd whipped up this morning. Allowing a seductive smile to play across her lips, Meredith realized her own hunger had little to do with food as well. "And what exactly would interest you this morning?" she asked, allowing the tip of her tongue to run across her top lip, moistening it just so.

 Stepping forward, Vin slid an arm around her waist and drew her flush against him. "I think you know," he whispered, his voice roughened by his desire. Tipping his head forward he claimed her willing lips.

 Meredith felt her body respond to his closeness and couldn't help the soft moan as he pressed his lips to hers. Wrapping her arms around his strong body, she allowed her hands to explore, reveling in the soft smoothness of his skin overlying the taught firmness of his well-toned muscles. Sliding one hand upward she buried it in his soft, sensuous hair as she felt his tongue seek entrance to her mouth.

 "Meredith," he whispered. "Meredith!" came the louder call.

 Opening her eyes suddenly, Meredith found herself staring up into the blue eyes of her dreams. Feeling a flush creep across her face, she knew it was slowly making its way down her neck and probably to her toes. How embarrassing was this?  "Oh, hi Vin," she managed, sitting upright and straightening her skirt hoping to hide her embarrassment in meaningless actions. Chancing a peek up at him, she noticed the amused smile he wore.

 "Sleepin' on the job, are ya?" he teased. He was rewarded with a smile. God she has a great smile, he thought idly. Clearing his throat and wishing he could clear his mind as easily, he continued with his purpose, "I just wanted to say thanks again for letting me stay over Friday night. I don't think I'd o' made it back to my apartment without fallin' asleep."

 Smiling up at the sharpshooter, Meredith replied, "Not at all. I'm just sorry you were awoken so early Saturday."

 Vin released a small chuckle.

 He has a great laugh… A great mouth… Stop it Meredith! she chastised herself.

 "Well, don't reckon there'd be any way either of us would figure Chris, Kaly, Josiah, Maggie, JD, Nathan and Raine would all show up on your doorstep at 6am wondering if you wanted to join them for breakfast."  He listened to Meredith's laugh. She has a great laugh, he thought. A great mouth… Her lips look so soft… Stop it Tanner! he chastised himself.

 "I don't think even Jean Dixon could have predicted that outcome," she observed. Then realizing she was still at work, and a working relationship was all she could expect with this man, she asked, "Was there something you needed?"

 Just you in my arms, our mouths locked together, my hands exploring every inch of your body, bringing you to a frenzied… Stop it! "Um, I have a report I was wondering if you'd look at," he said, shifting slightly on his feet, hoping she couldn't hear how quickly his heart was beating due to her nearness.

 Smiling up at him, Meredith stood and replied, "Sure! Let's just go into the office and I'll have a look at it for you." Walking past him, she resisted the urge to take him in her arms and crush her mouth to his, but just barely.

 As she walked by, Vin's hands actually twitched with his desire to take her in his arms. Shaking his head, he once more admonished himself to put such thoughts out of his head. They worked together and he was sure she wasn't interested in him, was she? Of course, he hadn't exactly been open with his own feelings but… Releasing a sigh, he followed her into the office.

On To Two Part Harmony | Back To Mad Lib Story Index