Chasing The Big Top

By MMW

 Vin shook his head in denial, eyes wide as he stared at the blue body paint. "I ain't puttin' it on," he declared firmly. "I ain't makin' myself blue."

 "It's azure," Ezra replied, trying not to roll his eyes at his friend's reluctance. "And you will need to in order to maintain the cover. I assure you Mr. Tanner, nothing will happen to you."

 Vin still shifted uncomfortably in his chair, knowing he didn't have a choice. A circus had come to town. It had been under suspicion of a number of violations including the selling tobacco and alcohol to minors as well as providing other suppliers with the alcohol and tobacco they need. He and Ezra had been sent undercover to see if they could infiltrate the organization. They had two contacts in the organization, one was the owner, the other was a young trapeze artist.

 When they had first met with their contacts, Vin had been quite taken with the young woman. As they progressed in their assignments, Vin had found himself seeking more and more time with her.  In fact, Vin had actually managed to finagle a skit with the young woman as an excuse to spend some extra time with her.

 Ezra had gone undercover as the Ring Master. It appeared that their normal Ring Master had taken a fall and broke his leg. Ezra was much relieved given that his initial role was that of clown.

 Vin's role was a little different. He was Chaos. Well, that was Ezra's definition. Basically, Vin was half-clown, half-imp. The sharpshooter didn't really have any of the definite skills to fill in any one position, but he had enough general skills to become an entertaining distraction.  Initially he was just supposed to be a Roustabout, but the owner had taken one look and decided he had other plans for the young Texan. So now Vin would "randomly" appear during various acts just long enough to cause some amusing trouble and then disappear.

 Heaving a sigh, Vin reached out and began applying the blue makeup. He knew several of the kids from his apartment complex would be there with their classes from school. He only hoped none of them would recognize him. Reaching up, he adjusted his scarlet wig with matching top hat and reached for his spruce colored shoes. The "azure" blue spandex pants he was wearing blended right in with the body paint. "Look like a blueberry," he muttered, tying his shoe. Sitting up, he adjusted the straps that would keep his hat firmly in place and stood.

 "I assume you are ready now?" Ezra inquired, trying to hide the amused smirk that wanted to escape at his friend's appearance. Turning, he exited the dressing area and headed out to open the show.

 Vin was nervous as he peeked out at the gathering crowd. He tried to remember what everyone had told him and drew himself inward, focusing on what he would have to do.

 It had been fun working with everyone and learning about all the different acts and skills at the circus. A small smile crept on his face as he thought about his time spent studying with the young trapeze artist. They had needed to thoroughly trust each other and feel comfortable with each other, part of that included getting comfortable touching each other. Of course, there hadn't been any improper touching, but he did like the way she felt in his arms, the way her soft skin warmed his hands. He wanted to get the guys selling alcohol and cigarettes to kids, but a little more time with a certain young lady would be nice. Today, upon the recommendation of the normal catcher, Vin would be adding a surprise twist or two to the little skit up in the air.

 He waited as he heard Ezra welcome the audience. The trained dogs would be out first and he was supposed to go out and replace one of the dogs with a housecat, much to the great dismay of the trainer. He heard Ezra explain that since coming to the Denver area, an imp called Vin had been appearing and causing trouble every now and then. He asked all the children to help him out by calling out "Vin's here! Come and get him!" every time they saw the blue imp appear. That way they could capture the imp and free the circus of his mischief. 

 Vin smiled at the sound of the children shouting as they practiced.  They had worked most of the acts so that the audience wouldn't see Vin until his "mischief" was already in progress. Hearing Ezra announce the first act, Vin went to the cages and retrieved the black tiger cat he used in the act.  Laurel was a true circus cat, well behaved and with just enough attitude to be interesting. She would make another appearance later during the large cat act. She would go out in place of one of the large Siberian tigers.

 As he picked up the cat, he smiled as he felt the purr. The little thing would purr for anyone, except, of course, her owner. Vin jumped slightly as a hand came to rest on his shoulder. Looking into the hazel eyes of the young trapeze artist, he felt his breath catch and his heart skip a beat.

 "She's purring isn't she?" the young woman asked, a smile lighting her face.

 Vin swallowed and smiled back. "Always," he replied. He felt himself tingle all over as her laugh caressed his ear. He watched as she reached out her hand and ran it down her cat once before wandering off.  Allowing his eyes to follow her slender form, he turned his attention to the ring outside and his upcoming role.   "What do you think, Laurel?" he whispered to the cat. "Do you think your I have a shot with your owner?" His only response was in increase in purr volume and a lick of his hand. He smiled, rubbed the head of the little feline, took a deep breath and headed out to begin his reign of "terror".

 The show was going well. The audience loved the blue imp in the scarlet top had running around causing havoc.  Vin discovered he enjoyed the cheers and jeers of the crowd. By the time the trapeze act came up, he was a crowd favorite, with most of the kids laughing and squealing rather than calling out that he was there. As he made his way up the high pole to the small landing where he would hide until he was ready, he scanned the area below. From that high up, he could see much more of the area than he could from ground level.

 Perched in his corner, he watched as the trapeze artists made their way up the other side. They were all wearing capes over their costumes. Costumes Vin had yet to see.  His eyes flicked over to his fellow performers. As he turned his focus to the task at hand, he felt his jaw drop and his eyes open wide. She was standing across from him in what his mind knew to be a flesh-toned bodysuit with gold and silver sequin, but his eyes were telling him were nothing more than the reflective dots adhered directly to her skin. Allowing his eyes to scan her from head to toe and back, he felt his desire begin to grow as his blood coursed fire through his veins.

 Closing his mouth and swallowing, Vin looked away and tried to calm his body. Slowly he felt his control return. He would have to be careful of his reactions, especially during the surprise. Scanning the area once more, he saw some of the circus people meeting with a couple of other men off to one side while everyone's attention was elsewhere.

 Soon his time came. The spotlight hit his position as he stepped out onto the landing. Waiting for Wayne, the catcher, to swing back far enough, Vin helped him to stop the swinging and quickly took his place. On the other side, the three performers were waving at the crowd while Vin found his rhythm. Vin watched as she turned and grabbed her bar. Swinging herself higher, she and Vin waited for their timing to synch. Once they were ready, she released her bar, performing a summersault and twist before Vin caught her by her ankles. 

 With an extra swing and pull of his arm muscles, he flipped her around. Originally, he was just to take her arms, wait for her to look up and kick her legs in frustration before dropping her to the net. He would then sit on his bar and make motions as if he'd won before falling from the bar to the net himself and slipping out prior to those who would capture him.  In the altered routine, he would flip her over, but then would use his arm strength to keep her face to face and kiss her before releasing her to fall.

 As she settled into the altered position, she met his eyes. He could read the question in them before leaning his head forward and kissing her. He had been prepared for the physical demands of this motion, but he had been unprepared for the emotional ones.

 As their lips met, he heard her catch her breath and felt an electric current pass between them. As he tasted her, he would swear to his dying day he had never tasted anything so amazingly perfect. He heard a soft sigh from her and a low moan from himself as she returned his kiss with passion, desire and tenderness that proved a perfect match to his own. He didn't want this to end - ever. Yet a portion of his brain heard Wayne calling for him to let her go. Breaking the kiss and opening his eyes he looked into the slightly glazed hazel eyes and asked, "Ready?" Receiving an affirmative nod, he dropped her down and the swung a few more times before he dropped her.

 He watched as she fell to the net, bounced and then settled. He waited until she'd made her way off the net and the remaining trapeze artists had started pointing as if trying to get to him. Offering a wickedly mischievous smile, he flipped of his bar, twisting and somersaulting in the air before landing safely in the net. After he'd bounced and settled, he quickly got off and eluded capture, much to the great amusement of the audience.

 Finally disappearing backstage, he glanced out and noticed that she had made it back up onto the landing and was preparing for her next death-defying feat. He smiled and trailed a finger across his lips, still tasting her and feeling her.

 The show ended well. He had targeted the men he'd seen and would make Ezra and the others aware tonight when they met. First, though, he would need to wash the blue body paint off.

 Taking off the shoes, hat, wig and spandex, Vin stepped into the open shower are that had been set up for the men. He was alone in the area, something his shy nature appreciated. The initial soreness he'd felt when first preparing for the role and learning his new skills had long worn off, but that didn't mean he was any less tired.

 He smiled as he thought of the kiss, and of the response to that kiss. Yep, that had made all the hours of work, all the trouble of painting himself blue worthwhile. He wondered if she would be willing to continue what that kiss had started. Maybe when the case was over…

 His eyes shot open and his head whipped around as he felt the stroke of a wet sponge across his back. He froze as he met the eyes he'd been thinking of. Unable to move he looked into those eyes and saw a heat that he knew was mirrored in his own. He didn't know what to do, what to say as she reached up and cupped his face with her palm. Turning his head slightly, he closed his eyes and planted a gentle, burning kiss upon her palm, feeling his heart swell as she released a soft moan of pleasure.

 Feeling her shift around to stand in front of him, he opened his eyes and looked into hers. He allowed her to guide his head downward and responded as she claimed his lips, his mouth, his soul as her own. Vin was lost in this woman and yet was found. He felt a melding of his soul with hers completing what he had never known was missing.

 Breaking the kiss he allowed a small distance to form between them. Cupping her face with his hand, he ran a thumb over her lips. She took that thumb between her lips, sucking lightly on it as her hands rested on his shoulders. He closed his eyes once more, lost in the sensations she was creating within him. When she stopped, he opened his eyes once more and felt his breath catch at the smile on her face.

 Allowing his eyes to slip from her face, he couldn't suppress the moan as he took in her wet, naked form. Feeling the blood sear through him, he slid one hand around her waist and drew her flush against him. Feeling her hardened nipples press against him even as the softness of her breasts offered an arousing contrast, he released a small growl. He allowed the hand around her waist to begin tracing paths up and down her naked back as his other buried itself in her wet hair. 

 "Vin!" Ezra's voice called. "We need to repair to our agreed upon location immediately if we are to be punctual."

 Vin broke off the kiss, feeling as if a bucket of cold water had just been splashed on him. He felt his lips quirk upward as he heard her bury her laugh against his neck. "Right out, Ez," he replied to the Southerner as he looked down at the naked woman in his arms.

 "Go," she said quietly. "We can finish this later." Then she stepped away, helped him remove the final traces of blue body paint from his skin and disappeared.

 Drying himself off, Vin slipped into his clothes and exited the area. "Let's go," he directed as he headed off for Ezra's jag.

 Ezra allowed a cryptic smile of his own to appear on his face. He knew Vin had been interested in the young trapeze artist, everyone at the circus knew, and had silently cheered when they kissed. He had seen the young woman surreptitiously slip into the shower area and, while he wished his friend all the best, he knew he couldn't allow things to progress too far so he had interrupted.

 The next morning - for the circus was performing a matinee - everything was in place. The suspects would be watched and Vin would give the high-sign for the team to move in.

 He was nervous about the bust and his performance. What would happen if they moved while he was performing? What would happen… He viscously cut off all questions and got into position. Taking several deep breaths he turned to retrieve Laurel as Ezra began his spiel. He stopped short as he found himself face to face with the woman whose kiss he couldn't erase from his mind. "Meredith," he breathed, reaching out to move a stray hair from off her forehead.

 Meredith smiled up at him, wanting to reclaim the mouth that was hers, wanting to continue what they'd started the previous night, wanting take all of him and give all of herself. "Thought I'd give you kiss for luck," she said, never taking her eyes from his.

 He smiled, unable to think of anything he'd rather do. Leaning down, he claimed her lips once more. Wanting more of her, he traced her lips with his tongue. Feeling her lips part with a soft sigh, he slowly entered her mouth, savoring every sensation, every taste. Wrapping his arms around her, he drew her closer to him, only to stop suddenly and jump back at the sound of an unhappy cat.

 Looking at Laurel, whose green eyes were glaring at him, he let out a relieved laugh. Looking up, he saw Meredith trying to suppress her own laugh.  Taking the cat from Meredith's arms he said, "Suppose I best get ready to go on."

 "Suppose so," came her soft reply. Holding his eyes for another minute, she slowly began backing away.

 Vin heard his cue and reluctantly turned to start his act. Everything was going well until he found himself once more up on the little platform awaiting his chance to kiss Meredith. He was just about to help Wayne down when he saw the deal go down. Signaling to Ezra, he quickly scanned the audience and saw that the others were all currently trapped and wouldn't make it in time.

 Glancing across, Vin noticed Meredith was already grabbing her bar. He would have to go through with some of this if he was going to stand any chance of catching the outside man.  Grabbing the bar, he began his swing. He caught Meredith perfectly and called to her that he needed to go and would toss her back to her bar. Hearing her shouted OK, he waited until he saw the bar, tossed her so she could catch it and then flipped and twisted his way off. He had just made it off the net when he felt the rush of air announcing the arrival of another body.  Turning quickly, he was in time to see Meredith roll off the net. "You're staying!" He shouted heading off to one side.

 "Not!" came her reply. She had just found him, just found out her feelings were reciprocated, he was not about to chase after men without her.  Following after Vin, Meredith caught up with the young man as he borrowed one of the motorcycles used in one of the acts. Grabbing another helmet, she put it on and took up a seat behind him. 

 Not happy about her tagging along, but not having the time to do anything about it, he started the motorcycle and took off. He slowed slightly as he passed one of the roustabouts sitting on a unicycle holding the high wire to be used later in the show.

 Heading off after the man, he found he was making good time, even with Meredith on the back of his motorcycle. 

 Back at the Big Top, Chris heard a call go out: Calling all available officers. Be on the lookout for an azure man riding a 1989 goldenrod motorcycle and wearing spruce shoes and a scarlet top hat. Please be careful as he is a circus performer and is considered armed and dangerous.  He is wanted on federal charges and for fearlessly stealing a thousand dollar high wire and absconding with the owner's coworker.  He was last seen in the vicinity of Bob street heading for the airport. He has very good balance and goes by the alias Vin. Proceed with caution. A groan escaped the Team Leader as he clutched his head and reached for his mic. Things were getting out of hand fast.

 Out on the road, Vin and Meredith were catching up with the suspects. As they approached the airport, they saw the men divert into a nearby farmer's field. Following, Vin stood on the bike, allowing Meredith to take over driving duties. Fortunately for both of them, their balance helped them in the maneuver. As he settled behind his lady, Vin began forming a lasso out of the high wire.

 Urging Meredith to close the distance, Vin prepared his rope. Across the fields, their speed had dropped to a point where he would be able to pull the suspect from his bike without too much risk of injury.  Timing his toss, he successfully lassoed the man and pulled him off the bike. Waiting for Meredith to stop the bike, he jumped off and tied the man.

 Turning, his breath caught as he saw Meredith standing beside the bike a smile on her face, her hair mussed and the flush of excitement on her face. Glancing at the man at his feet and then at a nearby haystack, Vin walked back toward Meredith and slipped an arm around her. Leading her behind the haystack and out of the sight of the suspect, he gentle eased them down onto the fresh hay.

 Looking into her eyes, he read the hunger there and smiled as he leaned down to claim her lips. Allowing her to deepen the kiss, they made themselves comfortable in the haystack as they began exploring the mystery of each other.

 Vin had just gotten Meredith's leotard unzipped when they heard the approach of feet. How they had missed the vehicles he wouldn't know. Helping Meredith back into her costume, they started pulling straw out of each other's hair. Looking up, they saw Chris Larabee staring down at them mouth twitching in humor.

 "Little boy blue…" he said, arching an eyebrow and allowing his mirth to show.

 Vin could feel his face turning red under the blue makeup and wondered if it looked purple to his friend. He glanced over and saw Meredith as red as he felt.

 As it turned out, Vin's statement could wait to be typed up, at least after he and Meredith gave their initial statements. So, hopping on the bike and heading back to the circus, the two were just in time for the finale. 

 Afterward, they retreated to Meredith's room to finish what they had started in the haystack.

 Reaching up, Vin released Meredith's hair from the ponytail in which it resided. Running his hands through her silken tresses, he watched as she closed her eyes and smiled in pleasure. He smiled as well, thinking of her smiling that same smile, but for a different reason. Stepping forward, he claimed her mouth, his hand running up and down the length of her back. He felt her hands mirroring his and mumbled "Meredith" as her tongue invaded his mouth. 

 He felt a hand clamp down on his arm and his eyes flew open. He found himself looking up at JD and blinking. "What… what happened?" he asked, confused.

 JD smiled down. He'd heard the name Vin had mumbled and couldn't help wonder about it. "You fell asleep while we were watching that James Bond movie, the one with the circus. You know, the one Buck insisted we watch after taking the kids to the circus today?  Anyway, I know you're going to stay to help Chris with the horses tomorrow morning and was wondering if you'd mind if I took the Jeep to drive back to Meredith's. Laurel needs feeding and Meredith said she'd call with more information."

 Vin slowly processed the information. It was Saturday night. Meredith had been gone a week and would be gone for at least four more. He had given JD a ride because of the rain. He'd promised to help Chris with the horses and chores the following morning. Now that he knew what was going on, more or less, Vin nodded. "Keys are in my pocket. Coat's in the closet," he instructed, watching the young man bound away. Laying his head back against the pillow upon which he'd been resting, Vin released a disheartened sigh. More dreams of Meredith. Would he ever get to kiss her for real? Did she feel the same?  He released another sigh before standing up and picking up some of the debris left behind.

 JD made his way to the coat closet. Opening the door, he found Vin's jacket. Shaking each of the front halves of the coat, he determined the keys were in the right side pocket. Reaching in, JD moved the wadded up paper to the side with his fingers, grabbed the keys and removed his hand. He failed to notice the wad of paper that followed his hand out of the pocket and fell to the floor. As he closed the door, the paper ball was moved further back into the shadows of the closet, fairly well hidden and out of sight.

On To A Matter Of Interpretation | Back To Mad Lib Story Index