Dreams Of You

By MMW

Vin looked across the way and smiled. Meredith was in the midst of telling a story to the children. He could see her facial expressions change as she related each character and watched as she leaned forward to help build tension by lowering her voice. The kids were spellbound, and so was he.

She would be a great mom, he thought idly, smiling as the sound of the children's screams sounded. He chuckled slightly to himself knowing they wouldn't let her stop now, though she'd offer. His smile faded somewhat as he thought of recent events.

About six weeks ago he helped Buck out by agreeing to go on a date with Desiree Masters. They had had fun, but Buck seemed to think there was more to it than that. Desiree was a desirable woman and a lot of fun, but Vin's mind kept drifting toward Meredith. She had never offered any indication that he was more to her than a friend, but he had always hoped. He had even decided to ask her about it, but fate or whatever had stepped in and he'd missed his opportunity. 

Now he settled for their weekly book discussions. He'd thought several times of asking her if there was a chance, of telling her how he really felt, but the time never seemed to be right for him, for them. He chuckled quietly. He'd been writing poems at a maddening rate recently and almost all of them had to do with Meredith, as if his feelings wouldn't be put aside, even if it was for the best.

Now he was dating Desiree and his friends seemed to be going out of their way to make sure the couple had their time together. His brow furrowed slightly, Meredith never indicated one way or the other how she felt about it. He just kept seeing less of her and wondering at the occasional walls he'd bump into in their conversations. Whenever he came remotely close to talking about he and Meredith, Meredith would ask about Desiree.

He smiled wryly and shook his head. Desiree.

His first date with Desiree had led to a second and a third. He still wanted Meredith, but she continued to offer him nothing but friendship, though even that had become less. It almost seemed like she pulled back when he started dating Desiree.

Releasing a sigh, he looked over at Desiree, her hair was sticking up and finger paints were everywhere on her smock and face. Desiree wasn't looking for anything long-term in a relationship, probably a good thing since she was only on temporary assignment.  That was all right with Vin. Desiree may not be looking for a long-term, but she was definitely interested in being more than friends with Vin.

A small smile crept onto his face. He might not ever get to be with the woman he longed for, but at least he was with a good woman. Desiree had managed to reassure him that there were good women out there in the world - a feat made more difficult by the string of bad romances he'd had before her.  Maybe someday he would meet someone like Meredith who wanted him as more than a friend, who would want to spend the rest of her life with him.

His attention was called back to the present by the whistle indicating the start of the sack race.

<><><><><><><>

 

Desiree glanced over at Vin and shook her head. He was looking at Meredith again. She wondered idly if Meredith was blind. How could any woman miss the love pouring from those blue eyes?

After their first date, she had seen the two together reading something on her computer screen and laughing. They looked so at ease, so right together, she had naturally assumed they were seeing each other. Vin had assured her they were just friends and she had accepted that - with a few quiet reservations. She had continued dating the sharpshooter - after all, she was a woman and he was a very attractive man - but knew his heart belonged to another.  That didn't really bother her, she wasn't looking for anything serious herself, just a little fun.

Of course, she thought wryly, it would be nice if he occasionally called her by her own name instead of Meredith's when they were making out and such. The name issue was actually one reason why she wouldn't sleep with him, his heart so clearly belonged to Meredith and you just didn't betray a friend like that.  But she could live with it, at least for the time she was here, at least for the length of this fling. Still it had given her an idea or two. Since Buck, Chris and Josiah seemed so intent on seeing her and Vin as a couple, Desiree had decided to play a little matchmaker of her own. The only problem was she needed a partner, someone willing to work with her to get those two together.

Releasing a sigh, she reached a paint-covered hand up to push a stray hair behind her ear not realizing she was smearing the paint already on her face and leaving an interesting multi-colored strand of hair in her wake. 

She jumped slightly as an arm encircled her waist. "Pretty as a picture," came the lazy drawl.

Smiling and turning to look into the blue eyes and handsome face, she replied simply, "Thank you. I had some help from the kids."

Vin laughed and leaned forward, placing a quick, chaste kiss on her lips, which were the only part of her that wasn't covered in paint.  Pulling away slightly he offered, "I'll help you clean up."

<><><><><><><>

 

Meredith pushed open the front door. It always seemed to stick in the Summer, especially when it was humid. Of course, given that it was made of wood, that only made sense.

Releasing a sigh she kicked off her shoes and wandered over to the kitchen table. Dropping her purse and the mail on the table, she was greeted by her cat who was loudly demanding to be fed.

"All right already," she told the cat, grabbing the cat food from the shelf. You'd think I starved you instead of leaving a bowl of dry food available for you 24/7. Keep this up and one of these days they're going to try to arrest me for animal cruelty or something," she finished admonishing, smiling as the purring cat buried its face in its food.

Leaving her cat to its dinner, she picked up her mail and wandered into the other room where she settled on the couch in front of the tv. Flicking the television on, she stretched out on the couch and wondered why in the world she'd been watching the Travel Channel. With a shrug, she decided she really didn't care, the television was mostly background noise anyway.

Turning her attention to the mail she had currently resting on her stomach she began opening each envelope. After seeing what was in each, she carefully set the bills in one pile, tore the junk mail and other unsolicited mail in half before dropping it in the wastebasket next to the couch, tossed the catalogues and set aside the magazines.

She found herself in possession of an envelope she couldn't identify. It was just a plain white envelope with her address written in a handwriting she didn't recognize.  She ran it between her fingers a few times, but there only appeared to be paper inside. Opening the envelope, she pulled out a piece of paper.

Glancing at the writing on the paper, she realized it looked vaguely familiar, but couldn't place it.  She didn't really see people's handwriting anymore, so it wasn't easy for her to keep track of it. Opening the paper, she began reading.

After reading the first few lines, she felt shocked. The poem could be about her. Of course, it could be about any woman, she assured herself. After all, her physical characteristics weren't that unique. Still, the other things mentioned made her feel as if the poem were written just for her. She could feel her cheeks color at the intensity of emotion expressed in the poem and wondered from whom it came.

Examining the envelope and poem again, she could tell two different people had written, one the poem, one the envelope, but couldn't find any other clue. She re-read the poem, feeling her heartbeat quicken at the words scribed on the page, but again, had no hint as to the writer of the poem.

Setting the poem aside, she got up and wandered to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. Her mind was racing and she found herself amazed by the giddy feeling of having someone write such a thing about her. At least, she would flatter herself that the poem was about her. She would allow herself that delusion at least for tonight. Tomorrow when she was less tired, she'd see the reality of the situation.

"You are the very breath I breathe…" she sighed. How amazing must it be to have someone feel that way about you? she wondered idly.

Throwing away the teabag, she took her cup of tea and wandered back to the family room where she'd left the television playing. Settling back on the couch, she contemplated changing the channel, but the places they were showing looked far more relaxing than anything else she might find on at this hour. Watching beach after tropical beach appear on her screen as each island paradise was reviewed, Meredith didn't notice as her eyes grew heavier and eventually closed, allowing her to drift into a peaceful sleep.

Meandering merrily down the island beach, Meredith found herself being approached by an unfailing friend.  Opening her mouth to greet her friend, she was stopped as her friend held up his hand and offered an envelope to her. Taking the envelope, Meredith opened her mouth to ask a question but her friend had turned and left.

Her curiosity coming to the fore, she opened the letter and read the contents. The single sheet of paper held only a poem, a poem written from a love as deep as any throughout the ages. Meredith felt tears gather in her eyes, awed by the overwhelming emotions expressed and dumbfounded that she could be the source of such emotions.

Her hands trembling, she looked up and found herself face to face with the man she had loved secretly. Looking into his eyes, she read there the love expressed in the poem, a love she had never seen before, or perhaps just never noticed. Opening her mouth, she found it took several tries before she could ask her question. "You…wrote this… for me?" she asked, her wonder and awe coloring each word.

Vin smiled at her and reached to take her hands in his own. "Every word. I started writing poems about you and couldn't stop. I would have acted on these emotions sooner, but, while my mother was a poet, my father was cautious. It was his caution that kept me from letting you know."

She couldn't say anything. She just smiled up at him and hoped her eyes spoke her emotions clearly.

Stepping closer, Vin whispered, "When I'm with you, everything seems right. All the storms calm, and the confusion melts away. When I'm with you I know love and light and laughter; I know strength that comes from these things and you leave me feeling as peaceful as a cat in a sunbeam.  I love you Meredith with all I am."

Allowing the poem to slip from her grasp, Meredith drew her hand from Vin's and reached up to place it behind his head. With a gentle pressure, she brought his head down and claimed his lips, pouring into that kiss all the love, joy, peace, comfort and passion she found herself at a loss to express any other way.

Releasing a contented sigh in her sleep, Meredith rolled onto her side.

<><><><><><><>

 

Ezra sat back in his chair and scanned the faces of the men sharing the poker table with him.  He had been unable to stop smiling all night. He had completed the first of what he hoped wouldn't be too many steps of his plan to finally get Vin and Meredith together. For, though he had to agree, Desiree and Vin were a good match, he knew the Sharpshooter had feelings for the Content Editor. Well, thanks to Vin's sleep talking, he had suspected it until he had found his proof in the poem sitting on Vin's desk. There could be no mistaking about whom the poem had been written, at least not if you knew Meredith.

He had had a momentary qualm about taking the poem and mailing it anonymously to Meredith, but decided something needed to be done before his friends lost out on the happiness they both so richly deserved. 

His smile dimmed slightly as he thought how much easier it would be to get those two together if he had a partner in crime, as it were. Still, he would manage it by himself, somehow.

"I call, gentlemen," he said aloud. Laying his cards out, he revealed a full house - Kings over Queens. Hearing the groans of the other players, he smiled once more as he collected his winnings.

On To My Tree Love | Back To Mad Lib Story Index