Highways and Byways

By MMW

 

Vin reached underneath the seat in front of him as the plane began its final descent into the airport. He wanted to find the receipt he’d gotten at the Denver airport. At the time, he’d dropped it into one of the pockets of his bag. He knew he really didn’t need it, but wanted to distract his mind. The flight in the cramped, enclosed cylinder had him less than settled.

 

Glancing out the window, Vin’s breath caught as a torrent of peace flooded over him. The open grassy area surrounded by an intricate forest of trees passed under the plane and allowed him to forget his discomfort and fear as the awesome beauty of nature filled his mind’s eye.

 

As the plane drew lower and nature gave way to civilization, he turned his attention to the complex bag before him. He sighed. Why had he grabbed this bag? There were so many pockets, snaps, zippers and fastenings that he wasn’t sure he’d ever find anything in there again. Finally opening one pocket, he found a card lying on a blue shirt he’d packed which, with the small pattern, looked more like a detailed drawing of a sea than an article of clothing. 

 

Pushing aside the shirt, he found a box of ribbon candy he must have picked up somewhere. A small smile crossed his face as he remembered the previous Christmas season when he and Meredith had helped out at the youth center. One of the kids had made a gingerbread house and entered it into a city-wide competition. Since they had run out of gingerbread and green frosting, the child had improvised using red licorice as ground cover. Somehow, just as the judges were coming by, a piece of yellow ribbon candy had fallen and was resting atop the landscape. Vin could still hear Meredith’s explanation: “It’s a ribbon of moonlight over the crimson moor…”

 

Leaning back in his chair he sighed. He loved the way she talked, the way she saw things… His heart ached slightly as her laugh echoed in his soul. Closing his eyes, trying to close out the harsh lines of the world, he allowed himself to fall into the gentle embrace of his memories of Meredith.

 

They hadn’t planned on ending up in the middle of a Renaissance Faire, especially not the largest one in the area, but that’s exactly where their quiet day had landed them. Vin had agreed to show Meredith more of her new state, something he was surprised she’d ask him to do after their run in with Onerous Dale’s restaurant, but he enjoyed spending time with his new friend. Though they’d only known each other a few short months, their friendship was relaxed and comfortable.

 

They had stumbled across the Faire by accident when curiosity over the long line of cars headed down a little-known road got the better of them. Before they were sure of what they were getting themselves into, they were parked and headed toward a group of buildings.

 

As they approached they saw a man dressed as a street sweeper – or at least they had thought him a street sweeper – coming toward them apparently teaching a young man with him the best way to shovel manure into the wheeled cart they were using. A smile had appeared on Vin’s face and he saw a similar grin on Meredith’s. “Well,” she’d said with a slight giggle, “they had to learn somehow.” 

 

Vin just shook his head. He supposed any trade had its tricks, but he still found it amusing to watch the Street Sweepers come toward them teaching.

 

Vin snapped out of his reverie as the plane came to a halt and the Captain turned off the fasten seatbelt sign. Vin stood immediately. The sooner he could get out of this sardine can the happier he would be. All he wanted to do right now was get to the Spokane ATF offices and see Meredith.

 

Biting back his impatience at the slow moving herd before him, Vin made his way off the plane. With long, loping strides, he quickly flowed through the masses of people and to the taxi-stand.

 

Taking the first available taxi, he gave his destination and allowed himself to sink back into the memories of so many months ago, before he ripped her heart out, before their feelings were so strong, before Desiree… before he even knew he liked her as more than a friend…

 

They paid the admission and entered the Faire grounds. There was much to see and do in the area, games to play, food to try, a maze to walk… It had turned into a really fun day filled with laughter and smiles. It was later that afternoon when they both wanted some food and rest that they found themselves before the ornate inn-door.

 

Just as Vin had reached toward the handle, a Page wearing a French cocked-hat which seemed to rest just on the upper brow of his eyes came beyond the pen next door. His dress and manner caught their attention. There was just a note of claret velvet (at least that’s what someone had called it when Meredith asked) at his throat. The breeches he was wearing looked to be made of elaborately decorated doeskin.

 

Vin rolled his eyes as Meredith appraisingly observed that they fit with “never a wrinkle” and then asked if he would try on a pair.  She had laughed just after so he knew she’d been teasing him.

 

Continuing their observation of the man, they both noted that he seemed to carry papers by his thigh. There was a twinkle in the Page’s eyes as he spoke and, though it looked more like a pistol butt, it was actually an oddly shaped rapier hilt twinkled as well under the – to quote another actor at the Faire – highly wrought sky.

 

Vin and Meredith listened as he clattered and chatted to no one in particular about the schedules of various events still left that day and the next. The inn-yard had an almost delicate look to it, Meredith had observed as they saw the page go in. The page then started talking to a ball with a painted face on it which rested atop the shutters of the yard. Vin had commented it looked like a stress-ball he’d once seen in a store. The comment had earned him a smile.

 

Vin paid the taxi driver and headed toward the building.  He had just entered and gotten into the short line of people starting to head in when he overheard a conversation.

 

“I can’t believe she taught us everything so quickly,” the young blond said.

 

“I know,” the redhead replied. “Normally I’d complain about being gypped, but the truth is I’m really anxious to try out what she showed us.”

 

“Me too!” the blond squealed excitedly. “Did you see what she did with Denver’s site? It’s great!”

 

“I know,” the redhead responded, causing Vin to wonder if she knew any other phrases. “Meredith did a great job. I want to see if I can get things organized like she did. She said she’d be at her hotel tonight if we had any questions.”

 

“Do you think she found the park OK?” the blond asked, a hint of worry in her voice. “I saw Peabody trying to give her directions and you know she couldn’t find her way out of a paper bag.”

 

The two women laughed at the comment as the red-head replied, “Don’t worry it’s kind of hard to miss the park and carousel. Besides O’Malley gave her a written set of directions so she should be fine.”

 

Vin stepped out of line and headed back toward the front door. Stepping outside into the fresh air, he sat on the stairs for a moment. Meredith wasn’t here. He’d flown all the way to Spokane, had taken a taxi to the ATF building, had worked up his nerve to find her and drag her out of class… and she was at a park somewhere. 

 

A small smile crept on his face. She was at a park with a carousel. He should have figured she’d be someplace like that. Standing, he decided his best bet was to take a taxi and trust the driver to get him to where he needed to be.

 

Flagging down a taxi, he slid in back and asked to be taken to the carousel. The driver seemed to know exactly what Vin meant, or at least didn’t look at him too strangely, and they headed off. Trying to distract himself from the nervous tension that had begun chewing away at him, he allowed his mind to drift back to the Faire.

 

Finally tiring of the Page’s antics, the two entered the inn. They were immediately claimed as friends by the innkeeper. Having given their names and received a hearty greeting, they were shown to a table in a back room where other “friends” were seated. The windows here also had shutters, but, whereas the one upon which the head had rested was open, these were locked and barred.

 

The closed atmosphere this created had made both he and Meredith uncomfortable, but, figuring it was just for a meal, the two set aside their discomfort and tried to focus on the antics of those around them.

 

Though they hadn’t thought they’d have a choice of meal, knowing that frequently only one dish was offered at inns, they were surprised when a young woman and a black-eyed man came into the room.

 

The man whistled a tune to the list of offerings the young woman was reading off. It was very well done and amusing as toward the end, the young woman obviously was trying to get the man to lose his tune. She finally succeeded much to the amusement of all those watching.

 

Their orders were placed and the food arrived. Though it was true to the period and cooked in such a way, both of them had agreed it was really quite good, far better than either would have expected from “authentic” Renaissance food.

 

Having finished their meal and left the money on the table, the two made their way back toward the main room where they caught sight of the landlord’s black-eyed friend who had provided musical accompaniment to their dinner menu. He was standing by the young woman who was holding a pen. He was obviously mentoring her in the fine arts of writing and arithmetic, two skills very rare for the period and even more rare for women.

 

Vin and Meredith watched a little longer as the landlord’s friend read to her an order out of a turquoise colored book. They exchanged a quick glance as they watched him then lean down and whisper something into her ear as his hand removed the ecru cap containing he hair and ran his hand along the silken strands.

 

Leaving the building, the two had shared a small laugh over the interaction and speculated about what the innkeeper would have to say about the budding romance.

 

After stopping by a few more stalls, the two had left the Faire and headed for home.

 

Startled out of his reverie by the voice of the Cab Driver, Vin paid the fare and exited the vehicle.

 

Stepping away from the curb, he scanned the park around him. There was more to this park than just the carousel, but at least that would give him somewhere to start.

 

Moving toward the building, he stood by the entrance and scanned the people.

 

No Meredith.

 

Beginning to wonder if she might still be here and what he would say when he found her, he stepped out of the building and moved toward the small lake area.

 

Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes and slowly released it. He knew Meredith. Sometimes he thought he knew more about her than he knew about himself, other times he didn’t know her at all. Right now, he had to try and figure out where she would go. What did Meredith love? Where did she go when she needed to think? Water… specifically waterfalls if she could find them. Nodding his head in satisfaction at his conclusion, he headed across the footbridge and soon found himself standing over a river.

 

Scanning the people on the bridge, Vin didn’t see Meredith, but glancing downstream, he noticed another bridge and a very familiar figure leaning with her arms resting on the railing. “Meredith” he breathed. He stood frozen for a moment at the sight of her. She looked so lost, so alone. Had he done that to her?

 

His lungs finally demanding oxygen, Vin inhaled sharply and snapped out of his trance. He had to see her. He was so close. He had to make her listen, make her understand what had happened, understand that he wanted her and only her, that … “that you complete me,” he whispered, stunned by the revelation, by the truth of the statement.

 

With a determined stride, Vin made his way to the other bridge, his step never faltering. He knew what he wanted, what he needed and if it took him the rest of his life, he would heal her heart and win her back.

 

He was no more than ten feet away when she turned and saw him. He wasn’t sure he would ever be able to identify all the emotions that flashed in her eyes as she recognized him.

 

“Vin,” she said.

 

His mind froze for a moment. She had said his name, but there was no emotion, no inflection in it. There was no surprise, no hope, no love, not even hate, just a collection of letters put together and breathed aloud. 

 

Finally identifying fear and pain as the predominant emotions in her eyes, Vin stayed where he was, waiting to judge his reception before moving closer. The last thing he wanted to do was scare her away, not when he’d spent so long… So long what? Spent so long in love with her and unable to say anything. He wouldn’t lose her now. “Meredith,” he replied, the relief, need and pleading tone of his voice apparent to his own ears. He saw her pull back and begin to move away. Panic nipped at the edges of his heart. “Please?” he begged, raising his hand, unable to find any other words, unable to voice his need just then, he allowed his heart, his need to pour through his eyes.

 

He watched as she unconsciously bit her lip. That small action, so familiar to him, made him want to smile. She always did that when she was thinking about something, but he knew a smile now was out of place. His small happiness at the familiar sight faded as he saw her draw down her defenses and close herself off. He had done this to her.

 

Seeing her shift slightly and nod her ascent that she would stay, he lowered his hand and moved closer. As he approached, he could tell, without a doubt, when to stop. She had always had a very definite personal space and people just naturally stayed out of it unless invited into it. The extent of the pain he caused truly hit Vin when he realized that he was no longer allowed in that space, that the comfortable closeness was no longer there.  More than anything, not being able to touch her, hug her, brush her hair out of her face, pierced him. He watched as she reached up and very deliberately tucked a stray hair behind her ear. I should have done that, he thought bitterly.

 

Knowing she was waiting for him to continue, he licked his lips, opened his mouth and prayed for the best. “Meredith,” he said again, “I don’t know when it happened, I don’t know how it happened, but I love you and am in love with you.” He received no reaction to his confession; it was downright unnerving. “I’ve known… I wanted to tell you so long ago, but things kept getting in the way. I want you to know Desiree meant nothing to me, I just couldn’t get Buck and the others to stop throwing us together and insisting we were a couple. As for Drea,” he saw the visible flinch, “Meredith, Drea was someone from my past who didn’t walk on the right side of the law. She didn’t know I was an ATF agent and came to me to be her bodyguard while she cut an arms deal. I had to play the part, but that’s all it was – playing – acting – pretending. When you,” his voice caught as he thought of the previous Friday - was it really less than a week ago? – and the look in Meredith’s eyes as she ran her hand down his arm, as she took his hand in hers and revealed her heart… “When you saw me, I was there with her because she was meeting the dealer. I had to… When she said that… If she thought you meant anything to me…” Vin silently cursed his tongue and it’s fumbling ways. He could write poetry that brought tears to Meredith’s eyes, but couldn’t explain his heart…

 

An idea jolted through him. Maybe that’s what he needed to do, allow his heart to talk. When he couldn’t speak, he could always write a poem…  Taking a deep breath, he shoved aside all conscious thought and allowed his heart to pour fourth. “Oh cursed tongue thy twisted path / does foil my heart’s desire. / In her am I made whole at last / In her heart, in passion’s fire. / My life I hold as nothing / my soul should be bereft / For without my dear one’s love / There’s nothing worthy in me left. / So should my love depart me / And take away love’s light / I shall diminish and fade away / For only she can make me right.”

 

He watched, his heart laid bare, his hand open and reaching. As he began reciting the poem, he watched her defenses crumble as first one tear escaped and was soon followed by others. Finally he saw her close her eyes and drop her head as the words wound their way deep within her heart. As her shoulders shook with a silent sob, he could hold back no longer.

 

Stepping forward, he wrapped his arms around her and cradled her head to his shoulder, allowing her to cry as he held her and whispered everything he had longed to tell her, everything he needed so desperately to say.

 

He knew they would have a struggle before them; no relationship was entirely smooth. Not only would they have rough days as they transitioned from friends to couple, but he knew he still needed to earn her trust back. He had hurt her deeply and he wasn’t foolish enough to believe that hurt would be healed by a few words and a few tears, they would need time. But at least, he thought to himself, we now have time.

On to??? / Back to Madlib Story Index