A Matter Of Interpretation

By MMW

Meredith sighed and sat back in her chair as she watched her friend's children run amok in the backyard.

"That's something of a sigh," Laura said. "What're you thinking of?" she asked settling into a chair.

Meredith turned her head, lacking the strength to do anymore. Her cold had more or less faded away, but she was still tired. The constant traveling didn't help, but it had afforded her a chance to see one of her close friends. Laura and Meredith had been friends for years. They didn't get to see each other often since Meredith was living in Denver and Laura lived outside Cleveland, so Meredith took the opportunity of a down day to spend some time with her close friend.

Looking at the happy glow of her friend, Meredith felt a pang inside, wondering if she could ever be that happy. "Just thinking of what might be," she replied with a smile. Turning back to watch the giggling children, she continued, "You know me, always living the fantasy and never the reality."

Laura laughed. She was very familiar with the rich tapestry that made up Meredith's imagination and how timid her friend could be in real life. "Who is he?" she asked, nestling into her chair, looking forward to a good story.

Meredith smiled, comforted by the fact her friend understood her so well. "You know my friend, Vin?" she asked, shifting her eyes she witnessed her friend's smile widen.

"One of the really cute ones? The one with the long hair and motorcycle. The one with the really nice... er... backside?" Laura amended as her daughter came within earshot.

Meredith laughed lightly and replied. "Yes, the one with the nice backside... and the gorgeous hair... and the most amazing eyes..." Meredith replied ending on a sigh.

Laura took in the _expression on her friend's face, the tone of her voice and drew an immediate conclusion. "You're in love," she declared. She saw Meredith's eyes widen. "You're in love with him."

Meredith shifted uncomfortably. "In lust," she corrected. "It can't be love unless the feeling is returned."

Laura snorted. They had been over this argument time and again and no matter how many times Laura pointed out that even in Meredith's own experience that wasn't necessarily true. "OK. You're in lust with him. Is he in lust with you?" She saw Meredith's face cloud.

Shifting in her chair, Meredith actually thought about the question before sighing and shrugging. "I don't know. I don't know if there's interest there or if I'm reading things into the relationship that aren't there. If I just had some clear sign... Some way of knowing..."

Laura considered Meredith's words. Given her knowledge of her friend and what she'd heard of Vin Laura came to the conclusion that there was most likely much more to the relationship than either of them was aware. The question was how to make Meredith aware of that. "Have you tried to sound him out?" she asked. She laughed and rolled her eyes at Meredith's _expression, of course not! Shaking her head, she admonished, "Meredith, how are you ever going to get what you want if you won't take a chance?"

Meredith shrugged and smiled slightly, knowing the response would drive Laura nuts. Sure enough the cry of frustration soon followed. Meredith's smile bloomed into a full-blown grin and soon both she and Laura were laughing.

"Have you two been on a date?" Laura asked. Seeing her friend about to deny it, she specified, "I mean, have the two of you set up a time together that was just the two of you?"

Meredith thought about the question and shifted uncomfortably. She and Vin had spent a lot of time alone together and much of it intentionally scheduled so that they could be alone with each other. It never seemed like a date, though, after all, they were just friends. Weren't they? She was pretty sure his intentions had never been anything but pure friendship and until recently she knew her's had only been feelings of friendship.

"Dating's a lot about finding out about each other and becoming friends. Without friendship there can't be anything more. I know, I know, you've never been comfortable 'dating', but then you've always had some pretty strange notions." Laura laughed as Meredith stuck her tongue out at the observation. "So... When was your first date?" Laura asked, leaning forward in her chair an expectant look on her face.

Meredith laughed, acknowledging Laura's victory. "Sounds to me that your definition of first date is a matter of interpretation. I would say we haven't had one, but you'd probably disagree. Gosh, let's see... By your definition I guess our first date happened just after I met Vin, he asked me out to dinner as a thank you after I helped him out, but I think you're thinking more along the lines of asking me out as something other than a thank you. I would have to say, in that case, it was about six weeks after I first met Vin."

"Ooo, do tell," Laura teased.

Meredith rolled her eyes at her friend, taking a moment to gather her thoughts with regard to what she now was about to relate as her first date with Vin. "I was chatting with a couple of people at lunch. Vin, was sitting with some of his team at the next table and he overheard me saying I wanted to explore a particular area of the state. He turned, excused himself for butting in and said he knew the area and offered to take me that Saturday. I was surprised but agreed. We settled on 7 am as a starting time."

"So is he yummy looking that early in the morning?" Laura teased.

Meredith rolled her eyes and laughed with her friend. "Yes, he looks very yummy in the morning if you must know," she informed with a smile. "But that's not the point. We headed out and drove around a while, taking in the sights I'd marked. He was quite knowledgeable about the area and had all sorts of stories. Of course, every now and then I had to call him on a story he was telling because I just couldn't believe it, but afterward he took me to his primary sources."

"Primary sources?" Laura asked, eyebrows raised in curiosity.

Meredith smiled. "Some books at the library, but there were some people he knew as well, long-time residents. They had some pretty remarkable stories and of course..."

"All of them were true?" Laura interrupted. They both laughed.

"Well, anyway, it was getting a little late and a storm had blown in making it really difficult to drive especially up and down the mountains. It was around dinnertime and there wasn't anywhere to eat. You know those areas where you're lucky if you find a restaurant?" Seeing Laura nod, she continued, "Well, pulling up to the one and only eatery in the area I was about to ask him to go on when I heard his stomach growl and gave in. I have to admit, I was a little nervous when we saw the first sign. Eating somewhere called "Ponderous MacDale's" isn't really my idea of a good time."

"Ponderous MacDale's?" Laura laughed in disbelief;

Meredith laughed with her and nodded her head in agreement. "I have to admit I was a little wary, and it only got worse as we pulled up and I saw the neon sign version of it which read "onerous Dale's". Honestly, the neon green had faded almost to a sage color! Though personally, I think onerous was much more accurate. Anyway, Vin pulls in and we park the car..."

<><><><><><><>"I can't believe we're going to eat here," Meredith said in disbelief.

Vin laughed. "I've eaten at worse. Ready to experience the finest dining in the building?"

Meredith mock-shuddered and they both laughed as they exited the car.

Opening the restaurant's door, Vin glanced quickly about the inside before allowing Meredith to walk through. He winced slightly at the condition of the restaurant, if you could even call it that. Still, he was really hungry and knew appearances could be deceiving.

Stepping in behind Meredith, Vin found himself face to face with a rather tall gentleman wearing full Scottish regalia. "Ya can't come in here dressed like that!" the man bellowed in a very distinctive Brooklyn accent.

Vin stopped dead. Glancing toward Meredith to make sure she was alright, he was shocked to see her trying to suppress laughter. It was bad enough that a hole in the wall like this seemed to have a dress code, but to be called on the carpet for it... "I'm sorry," Vin began, unsure of what to say. "If y'all could tell us of another diner, we'll head there."

"No, no. Not a problem. I have some colors you can borrow," the man continued as if that would explain everything.

Seeing the puzzled look on Vin's face, Meredith supplied, "You have to wear a kilt."

"What!" Vin exclaimed, his voice practically a squeak. "I ain't wearin' no skirt!"

"Not a skirt, Vin, a kilt. Specifically the MacDale colors," she said trying to suppress her laughter.

Vin narrowed his eyes at his friend. She was enjoying this far too much. They waited as their host went to retrieve the "proper attire" for Vin. As Vin saw the kilt the man was carrying, a wave of horror swept through him at the thought he would be forced to wear such thing. "That's... That's..." he stammered.

"That's your kilt," Meredith supplied trying valiantly not to laugh at the puce, chartreuse and bright orange conflagration of colors the man had brought out.

Vin accepted the article of clothing and began slipping it on over his jeans only to be stopped by the host. "Oh, no. You have to wear it the traditional way," their host instructed.

"Traditional way?" Vin asked with great trepidation. He saw Meredith shaking with suppressed laughter and felt his cheeks begin to color knowing something truly awful was awaiting him.

"Of course. Haven't you heard the ballads about what a Scotsman wears under his kilt?"

Vin's eyes grew wide. Of course he'd heard the rumors and the stories and had laughed them off as had all American men. "But that's... It's not..." he sputtered trying to argue his way out of having to go through with the restaurant's dress code while feeling his face turn several very interesting shades of red. He saw his host fold his arms across his chest as if daring the Sharpshooter to say or do anything against wearing the kilt in the "traditional" manner. He looked over at Meredith who now had tears streaming down her face from trying not to laugh at his predicament. Shooting her a glare, Vin opened his mouth and was about to tell her they were leaving when he saw Meredith mouth the word "chicken". Closing his mouth and squaring his shoulders he turned toward their host and asked, "Is there someplace I can change?"

Showing Vin to a dressing room, their host, who it turns out was Ponderous MacDale himself, showed Meredith to the eating area and a table.

How she got to her table she would never know. She'd seen some fairly unique furniture in her time, even sat on a few chairs she was sure were one of a kinds and thankfully so, but she was absolutely stupefied by the selection of chairs nestled around various tables. Settling into her chair, she was shocked at how comfortable and relaxing her chair felt. She could feel any remaining tension leave her body as she settled back into the chair's embrace. Waiting patiently for Vin to join her, she scanned the rest of the restaurant. It was decorated in a more sedate manner than the family colors of Ponderous MacDale would have hinted at. There were several settees along the walls which, while nice enough, could only be described as less than delicate. All in all the atmosphere was soothing and Meredith found the thought of driving back to Denver less attractive.

Eventually a blushing Vin made his appearance. Though the colors of the kilt were garish to say the least, she was surprised by how attractive he looked in a kilt. It showed off his well-formed, muscular legs and tempted the eye just enough to make one long to see what he was - or wasn't - wearing under the kilt. As he sat down, she made a point of telling him, "Aside from the colors in it, you look really nice in a kilt."

Vin shot her a look and then smiled at the compliment. "Thanks, but you best enjoy this while you can. I ain't never wearin' a skirt again." He saw Meredith's smile widen and a twinkle of mischief enter her eye. "And if you ever tell anyone about this, you'll be sorry!" He was frustrated when Meredith laughed at his threat, but gave into the humor of the situation and joined her.

The two talked while they waited for their waitress to appear. "Feels like we've been waiting a fortnight," Meredith commented, noting that by her watch it had only been about 40 minutes.< o:p>

"Good thing these chairs are so comfortable or I'd suggest getting up and leaving," Vin added.

As if on cue, their waitress came up to them. "HiI'mVapidandI'llbeyourservermayItakeyourorder?" she said in a rush.

Meredith did a double take, surprised first by the woman's rapid speech and second by the fact she'd just said her name was Vapid. "Excuse me," Meredith interrupted. "Did you say your name was Vapid?"

The woman looked at her and offered a high-speed laugh. "RapidmynameisRapidatleastthat'swhateveryonjearoundherecallsme," she replied.

"Holy mackerel!" Vin exclaimed at the rapid recitation. He was still trying to parse out her sentence when he heard Meredith ask for menus. Watching the young woman move quickly away, he turned to see a mirror of his own stunned _expression writ on Meredith's face. "I'd ask if you caught every other word, but I think she only used one."

Meredith offered a light laugh in response. "Holy mackerel?" she asked.

Vin shrugged. "Seemed more polite than what I almost said." This earned him another light laugh from Meredith. He was about to comment further when Rapid came back, deposited two menus and disappeared. Opening the menu, he began reading what was available. Looking up from his menu he saw the baffled _expression on Meredith's face. "Some selection," he observed.

The corner of Meredith's mouth rose in a wry smile. "I"ll say. I don't think I've seen so many things crossed out ever. Have you found anything they still have?"

Scanning his menu, Vin smirked, "Grapes, peaches, dinner rolls, and sweet rolls."

"It appears that our drink selection includes bubble bath and tea," Meredith observed.

Vin wrinkled his nose. "Bubble bath?" he asked, incredulous. He gaped as Meredith just nodded her head.

"Surethingsweety! Whatelse'llyahave?" Rapid asked, quickly making a note that Vin wanted bubble bath to drink. Vin opened his mouth to protest, but Rapid jumped right in. "It'sareallyreallygooddrinkit'slikearootbeerfloatonlywithbubblegumicecreamandclearsoda."

After a few seconds of silence while the two processed what had just been said, Vin spotted the telltale tremor of Meredith's shoulders indicating she was laughing again. Wanting to get back some of his own, he decided to order for both Meredith and himself. "I'd like a bowl of peaches, grapes and the dinner rolls on the side. Meredith will have the sweet rolls and tea," he finished taking Meredith's menu and handing them to Rapid while ignoring the face Meredith was making at him.

"OKThosedinnershouldberightoutnoproblem," Rapid informed them before disappearing to the back.

Meredith sat looking at Vin. "I can't believe you ordered for me!" she exclaimed. "I don't even like sweet rolls that much!"

Vin laughed. "If I have to wear a skirt -"

"Kilt" Meredith corrected.

Shooting a look at his dinning partner, Vin continued, "kilt, then you can live with me ordering for you. Besides I have to drink a bubble bath!" He tried not to smile or laugh with Meredith, but failed miserably. Soon his laughter joined hers.

The duo continued to talk for a while before becoming impatient. "Think they'll ever bring the food?" Meredith asked.

Vin checked his watch. "Well," he observed, "it took them 40 minutes to bring us menus, I reckon we could wait a good twenty or so before they bring us our food." Meredith smiled in agreement. Sure enough, after twenty minutes by Vin's watch, Rapid came out bearing a tray with their meals.

Both Vin and Meredith managed to hide their amusement at the presentation. Vin's fruit was being served in the bottom part of a planter, the dinner rolls were served on a hubcap and Meredith's sweet rolls cam in what could only be an old flute case with the insides taken out. As for their drinks, Vin's bubble bath came in a traditional milkshake glass, but Meredith's tea came in a rather fancy looking soap dispenser. Nodding their thanks to Rapid, they waited for her to disappear out of earshot before giving voice to their mirth.

Looking closely at the food, Meredith raised an eyebrow. "Your fruit doesn't look half bad. Want to share?" she asked.

Vin looked at his friend and grinned. "Nope. You get the sweet rolls and tea." He watched Meredith's resigned look and relented slightly. I'll split the fruit if you'll share your tea."

Looking directly into the blue eyes to judge his sincerity, Meredith finally nodded in agreement to the deal. "Deal," she said. Reaching across the table, she picked up the cup from in front of Vin and quickly dispensed some tea.

For his part, Vin reached over and took the saucer of Meredith's teacup and put a portion of fruit on it before replacing it. Settling back, he graciously accepted the tea Meredith offered. Bringing it up to his lips, he missed Meredith's warning as he took a sip of the hot liquid. Pulling the cup away quickly as he felt the tea scald his lips, some of it spilled onto his kilt. "Damn," he said quietly.

Meredith was concerned as she asked, "Are you all right?"

Vin grabbed the bubble bath and took a sip, oddly surprised that the sweet concoction tasted pretty good. "Yeah, I'm fine," he admitted sheepishly. "But I spilled some tea on my skirt," he said sounding disgruntled. "It won't stain will it?" he asked. He saw Meredith's mouth twitch as she tried to suppress her smile. Putting his hands on his hip he lowered his head as his own smile grew. Soon they were both chuckling and then laughing. "I didn't just say that, did I?"

Meredith nodded as she tried to catch her breath. "Yep, sure did." Catching a bit more of her breath, she held up her hand to his protest. "I know, I know. If I ever breathe a word of this to anyone I'll regret it. Don't worry word of this will never reach the ears of your teammates, friends or acquaintances."

Nodding his agreement, Vin released a sigh and settled down to eat his dinner. The rest of dinner, as the day proceeding it, was filled with laughter and chatter. Of their selections, the dinner rolls were their favorite, though still far from tasty. Eventually they asked for the check. Seeing the disappointment in Rapid's eyes as she looked at the leftovers, Meredith sighed and asked to have the leftovers wrapped, shrugging in response to Vin's pained _expression. Rapid beamed at them and quickly departed to wrap their leftovers.

Shaking his head in disbelief, Vin said, "I can't believe you asked for the rest."

Meredith smiled and shrugged. "She just looked so put out. We can always leave it for the animals to eat or throw it out when we get to town."

Vin shook his head and winced. "Hell, I don't reckon that even the critters 'd eat that mess."

Meredith laughed and agreed. Then stopped. Her eyes grew wide as she watched Rapid come out with a fish tank filled with their leftover rolls. Unable to say anything, she pointed.

Turning to see what she was pointing at, Vin felt his jaw drop at the sight of Rapid carrying a fish tank filled with rolls. Closing his mouth, he shut his eyes and shook his head in disbelief. Turning to look at Meredith, he saw her just shaking her head.

Paying their bill, they took the fish tank and left, though, not before Ponderous MacDale talked Vin into keeping the kilt. Leaving the building, the two quickly made their way into the car and made their way toward Denver. Once within Denver, they stopped by the first trash can they found got rid of the rolls.

"Why're you keepin' the fish tank?" Vin asked.

Meredith smiled. "It's a perfectly good fish tank," she offered by way of reply.

<><><><><><><>"So, why did you keep the fish tank?" Laura asked.

Meredith smiled. "Birthday gift."

"Birthday gift? For whom?"

Meredith's smile broadened. "Vin. I picked up a few fish and the necessary equipment and gifted him with three fish in that tank."

Laura laughed. " I can't believe you did that! What did he say?"

Meredith was chuckling along with her friend. "He thanked me for it and promptly named the fish Rapid, Ponderous and MacDale." Both women laughed.

"And the kilt?" Laura asked.

Meredith's smile softened. "He still has it. He had it cleaned and has it stored away somewhere. I tease him about it every now and then, but then, he doesn't seem to mind too much so long as his teammates don't find out."

Laura smiled at her friend. "Sounds like Vin cherishes his time with you," she observed.

Meredith tilted her head to the side, thinking about Laura's words. "I suppose. But don't you do the same with all your friends."

Laura nodded, knowing Meredith would try to deny it. "How do you explain the kilt?" Seeing her friend's puzzled _expression she explained. "He's obviously embarrassed about it and didn't really enjoy wearing it, yet he not only kept it, he had it cleaned." Meredith looked into her friend's blue eyes. Laura smiled at the confusion, doubt, fear and hope she read in Meredith's eyes. "Whether he knows it or not on a conscious level, I think the man is taken with you."

Meredith felt her cheeks color. From the knowing grin on Laura's face, she knew she was blushing. Rolling her eyes, she released a sigh. Thinking over Laura's words as well as her own memories, Meredith could only wonder how true Laura's words were. Her thoughts were cut off as Laura's son ran up an leapt at her. Scooping up the little boy, she flipped him over and began tickling him, making a mental note to think about what Laura said later.

On To Timing | Back to Mad Lib Story Index