777*777*777*777*777*777*777

7 July 2077

Do not be alarmed.

Your computer will come to no harm.

We, my friends and I, are the whisps of shadows that haunt the ether of the net.

I'm known as Vin Tanner. No, it is not my real name, but it is a convenient handle. I have never been a bounty hunter, a sharpshooter or a tracker – at least not in the real world. The ether world of the net is another matter entirely.

We have determined that the time has arrived to begin the revelation and, perhaps, the revolution.

Together with my friends, Chris Larabee, Buck Wilmington, Josiah Sanchez, Nathan Jackson, Ezra Standish and JD Dunne, we form “The Magnificent Seven.”

Trite? Perhaps. But just as those men protected a village on in the wild frontier, so are we endeavoring to protect our global village on the ever expanding frontier of the net.

This missive is simply an introduction to the masses and a warning to the powers that be. Secrets have proven dangerous in the past and even moreso in the present and future. Some secrets need to be kept, but some need to come out into the light.

Who are we to decide what secrets get revealed? No one different than you. Just everyday people living in the world, trying to make ends meet. In the real world, we could be a corporate executive, a law enforcement officer, the girl next door, or the man in the oval office. In the ether world...

Keep your eyes alert for the sign of the seven.

Veritas est Lux.

Truth is light.

Time to end the darkness.

-M7

777*777*777*777*777*777*777



“Garvey!”

“Yes, sir?” the young man asked, brushing a lock of hair from his forehead, as he tried to hide how badly his boss had scared him.

“Do you have any leads on these Seven people?”

“Not yet, sir...”

“Not good enough!” the Director declared, slamming his fist down on the younger man's desk, causing the items on top to jump off the wood. “Every computer connected to the net, every computer that had transferred something from the net, every server in every secured location in the country and YOU CAN'T FIND ME ANYTHING?!!”

“Sir, we're working on it,” Garvey assured, wishing his boss would just go away and let him work.

“It had to have left a trace, and entry, something! How did it launch? What language did it use?”

“Sir, that's just it. We don't know. There was a simple timing script used to launch the text message, but how it got there is a complete mystery.”

“Find me answers, Garvey,” the Director said, his voice tight, but controlled. “Find them fast.” With that said, the Director turned on his heel and marched out of the office.

“He doesn't have a clue, does he?” a soft voice asked.

Garvey turned around and stared at the blue eyed man behind him. “Not even an idea of one, Vin.” Turning back to his work, Garvey smirked, “Weird that they used your name.”

“Not you, too, man,” Vin groaned. “I swear it's a total coincidence. Tanner's not that uncommon a name.”

“Yeah,” Garvey agreed. “Besides, the dude made a point of the fact they were just borrowing the names. Still amusing, though.”

“What?”

“The thought of you being some sort of super-computer shadow “sign of seven” person,” he elaborated with a chuckle.

“Yeah,” Vin agreed, turning to face his workstation. “Funny.

End Trans


Title: Sign Of Seven: Missive One
Author: MMW
Disclaimer: The characters of "The Magnificent Seven" belong to MGM, Trilogy, etc and are used here without permission. No copyright infringement is intended.
Amusing Side Note: "Veritas Est Lux" is the motto of the university from which I graduated
Universe: Sign Of Seven
Character: Vin
Rating: Suitable for all ages


To The Magnificent Seven Main Page
To The Magnificent Seven Alphabetic Story Index
To The Magnificent Seven Story Index by Character
To the main fanfic page
Email Feedback