Timing

By MMW

Vin rolled over and sighed. He really didn’t want to get up. He wanted to return to the dream of Meredith he’d been having. Two weeks. Two more weeks before he could see her in the flesh. At least it was Friday. A heavy sigh escaped his lips as he sat up and headed toward the shower.

Quickly scrubbing down in the lukewarm water, Vin turned off the flow and reached for his towel. His brow furrowed as he realized his towel was no longer on the rack. Cracking open an eye, he looked around the room and quickly spotted Drea. She looked very much like she had last time he’d seen her, long, lean and sexy as Hell. A smile curved along the corner of his mouth as he watchedher hold his towel in two fingers.

"Lose something?" she asked, a sultry smile appearing on her face.

"Same old Drea," Vin said joining her laughter with his own. He held out his hand for the towel and nodded his thanks as she returned it to him. He kept his eye on her as he dried off. It didn’t pay to lose focus when Drea was around. A lot of people had been stabbed in the back that way - literally and figuratively. "What brings you back to Denver?" he asked.

Drea leaned back against the wall, folded her leather-clad arms across her chest and made no secret of drinking in every inch of the man before her. The tip of her pink tongue traced the outline of her lips and a very satisfied smile reached from her mouth to her eyes which also spoke of a desire for him. "Guess I made the right choice calling you," she said as Vin wrapped the towel around his waist.

Vin allowed his own smile to show as he slowly ran his eyes from Drea’s head, down to her toes and back up. "Kinda glad ya did," he said, his voice low. Sparks flew in the room as their eyes met and locked. It had been years since they’d seen each other and their previous relationship had been all fire and heat with no substance. That heat hadn’t abated over time, but Vin wanted more from a relationship. Standing in the small room with this woman, though, was heating his blood. Knowing he had to break the tension, he returned to his question. "So, what brings you back here after swearing off me, Denver and everything we had together?"

She smiled recalling her departure. The heat between them had been the only reason she stayed as long as she had. He was a Bounty Hunter and she was... not. Of course, he never would have taken her in but only because she didn’t have a bounty on her head. "Business," she said cryptically.

Vin raised an eyebrow. He knew Drea’s business, or at least what it used to be. He knew that she was good at what she did and wondered how far she’d progressed in her chosen profession. It would definitely be wise to make sure she didn’t know he was ATF, at least not unless she brought it up. "Business good?" he asked.

A feral smile spread across her face. "Bounties good?" she asked.

Vin raised an eyebrow. "Obviously not as good as business," he replied indicating his apartment. He smiled at her laugh.

"Interested in something more profitable?" she asked.

Vin leaned his shoulder against the wall, becoming serious. "Depends," he said.

Drea laughed. "Don’t worry, Vin," she assured. "I won’t ask you to do anything you haven’t done before." Seeing he still appeared reluctant, she added, "Ten thousand for a weekend of your time."

Vin eyed her, knowing he had to play his role. "Side benefits?" he asked, very pointedly scanning her body.

Drea smiled. She had definitely made the right choice. All she needed was some eye candy who could take care of himself if things went bad and she was more than willing to pay him to appear with her, but his suggestion was very, very tempting. "We’ll see," she said.

Vin smiled seductively at her answer. "What do you need from me?" he asked, wanting to know all the details before he went in. He knew Drea would tell him. She knew how he worked and would know he’d never agree to anything until he knew all the details.

Smiling at Vin’s predictable reaction she said, "Ever heard of Marcus Grand?" Seeing Vin’s puzzled expression she relaxed slightly. "He and I have been in business for a while and recently he’s been less than forthcoming. I’ve come to meet with him to discuss our business opportunities and will need a local escort."

Vin nodded slowly. "Guns?"

"Best bring them all," she advised.

"Time?"

Drea smiled. "I’ll pick you up around six. We can have a nice dinner, meet Grand later for drinks and business and then maybe get reacquainted."

Vin finally smiled. "I’ll be here."

He watched as Drea smiled and left.

Waiting until he heard the closing of the door, Vin turned so his whole back was resting against the wall. He allowed his head to tilt back until it too was resting on the wall. What had he gotten himself into? The ATF had been looking into Marcus Grand for months. He was a fairly recent addition to the Denver scene, having expanded his territory just a few months prior. No one had been able to get an in with him or a meet. Ezra and Team Seven were slated to try next, but Ezra was currently trying to establish a cover on a tobacco sting. They would see him tonight, but not before.

Vin knew they had to act on this, knew they had to do this right. He also knew they had to do it soon and that Chris would not be happy. Not only were they down a man with Ezra gone, but there were too many question marks about the night and about Drea and Grand. He hoped he came out of this in one piece.

Standing, he headed out of the bathroom to get dressed and break the news to the Team.

<><><><><><><>

Meredith glanced at the clock. The shuttle to the airport would be arriving soon to pick her up. She was nervous. More nervous than she could remember. Then Laura’s words came back to her, "Why are you nervous? You know what he’ll say. Now stop being a chicken and get to it!" She loved Laura. Everyone needed a friend who knew them like Laura knew her.

It had been her long-time friend that had opened her eyes to the fact that Vin’s actions were speaking very clearly that he wanted her. Meredith had been in shock when she realized it, but couldn’t deny the truth of the statement.

When she arrived back at her hotel room, she had dug out the poems she had received anonymously. Re-reading them, she allowed herself to see what she had missed before, the description of herself, the love and emotion directed at her and the phrases and rhythm to the poems that was undeniably Vin. She had heard enough of his poetry to know that much.

She had wanted to call Vin right then and find out for sure if he really felt the same about her, but a small nagging voice in the back of her head told her not to do it over the phone, to look into his eyes so she could be sure he wasn’t just sparing her feelings. So, Meredith had shifted a few things around, including her flights, and now had a six-hour layover in Denver on Friday night. Though they wouldn’t have a chance to explore anything too deeply, it should give her enough time to find him, hopefully at the Saloon, and tell him how she felt. It would also give her a chance to update JD with her altered itinerary. She had to change the hotels she’d be staying at and had changed which locations she was visiting.

But she would go to the Saloon and tell him how she felt. Then if he didn’t return the feelings, well, she was leaving again anyway. And depending on her reaction, she could always accept the job here in Cleveland. After all, a private firm, higher pay, better benefits... She had put them off wanting to find the answer to this very important question before making her decision. Of course, there were other factors in staying in Denver, her friends, her sister... but she knew the Cleveland area and had relatives and friends here as well.

She released a sigh. Things would work out as they worked out. She was just being silly. As awkward as it might be while they tried to figure out how to transition their friendship to a romance, Vin would accept her offer of her heart and she would stay in Denver.

Seeing the shuttle pull up, she wished briefly that she’d had time to change before leaving. She was still in the suit she had been wearing all day and her hair still resided in a tight bun at the nape of her neck, a concession to the heat of the offices she’d been in where the temperature resided somewhere around surface of the sun. She always called this her Librarian look, just give her a pair of glasses on a chain and voila! Instant Librarian. Still, Vin had seen her worse.

<><><><><><><>

Vin knocked on Chris’ door. "Can I talk to ya for a minute?" he asked. Seeing his boss nod, he stepped into the office and began explaining about Drea, her proposal and what it could mean to their team.

Chris didn’t like it. There were too many questions, too many unknowns. He didn’t like sending Vin into this situation with a woman he didn’t trust and didn’t know anymore and a man who was so slick he made teflon look sticky. "No," he said.

Vin took a breath. He’d known this would be the response and he knew he would have to keep his cool and marshal his arguments if he was going to gain Chris’ approval for the plan. As far as he could tell this could be their only hope of getting two gun dealers off the street - Drea and Grand. They had to do this.

Six hours later Vin found himself heading home, a tiny mic ready to be hidden in his clothing. The others would try to keep up and keep him covered. Hopefully tonight would just be the set-up for the actual sale. Opening his closet doors, Vin scanned his clothes and pulled out an outfit he knew would not only distract Drea but comfortably conceal his weapons and his wire.

Taking a deep breath, Vin tried to clear his mind and slip into the role he knew he’d have to play. No cracks. No slips. He had to become someone he’d left behind long ago.

<><><><><><><>

Meredith sighed in relief as she stepped out of the airport. She only had her purse with her, but that would be all she’d need. She had to be back in four hours and on the road again. Walking up to the first taxi, she told him, "The Saloon." It was six o’clock now. Given the distance, the hour and the time, she figured she’d be there by 7. That would give her until about 9:15 or 9:30 to find someplace, some time to talk to Vin. Two hours should be long enough, at least she hoped it was.

As they approached the Saloon, Meredith felt her stomach tighten. She shouldn’t be so nervous. She shouldn’t be so afraid... But then, putting her heart on the line wasn’t something she did everyday. Taking a deep breath, she deliberately pushed aside all thought of the last two times she’d offered her heart and had it returned to her shattered almost beyond repair. That wouldn’t happen this time. This time she would offer her heart to Vin; Vin would return his for hers and together they would be one. This was the right thing to do.

So why was she so nervous?

Paying the cab, she stepped out and looked at the facade of the Saloon. How many interesting things had happened here? How much had this become part of her life? It was good to be home.

Taking a deep breath, she opened the door and walked in.

Allowing her eyes a moment to adjust, she scanned the room looking for the Seven, not seeing them, she looked for other friendly faces. Releasing a sigh at the distinct lack of anyone she knew in the building, Meredith made her way to the end of the bar and took the seat in the shadows.

Inez had seen her friend enter and, though she was surprised to see Meredith here two weeks early, she was concerned about the nervous tension she read in the woman. Making her way over to the corner of the bar she smiled at her friend. "It’s good to see you here, Meredith. I thought you were supposed to be away for two more weeks."

Meredith smiled at her friend. "I am. I have two more weeks of travel before I get to come home. I just had something I needed to do so I arranged for a long layover tonight."

Inez looked at her friend. After years of owning her own bar, she was good at reading people. Tilting her head sideways, she studied her friend. "What has you so nervous tonight?" She watched as Meredith looked up at her, the young woman’s eyes were wide and as Inez saw them, she could clearly read them. What she saw surprised her and yet gladdened her. It was about time Meredith found love. Smiling at her friend, Inez reached out and patted her Meredith’s arm. "Whoever he is," Inez said, "he’s a very lucky man." She saw the hazel eyes warm and a smile twitch her mouth. Leaning in conspiratorially, she whispered, "And he’s going to have his hands full with you." That’s when she saw the brilliant smile she so enjoyed. Patting her friend’s arm she went off to get her a soda.

Meredith watched the entrance waiting. She saw her friend come in with Ezra. The two were laughing. She faded back into the shadows a little further, allowing the two some privacy. Thanking Inez for the drink she brought over, Meredith sat quietly and waited.

<><><><><><><>

Vin forced a smile on his face and turned to face Drea. They had been getting to know each other again over dinner. Normally Vin wouldn’t object to the close contact, not with Drea, the woman knew how to drive him wild with a single touch, but for some reason he just didn’t seem to be able to find the same pleasure in it that he used to. It just felt wrong. Right now she pushed him against a wall and roughly claimed his lips while allowing a gentle caress down his side with her hand. Vin couldn’t stop his reaction; she knew that the combination drove him wild. Of course, he knew how to turn her on as well and if she wanted to play dirty, he would play right along with her.

She allowed a slight groan as he hit the spot that drove her wild. "It’s been so long," she sighed as she broke their kiss. Stepping back, she twisted her hands in the lapels of his jacket and pulled him off the wall. Pulling him so their bodies were pressed together, she whispered, "We’ll finish this later." Claiming one more kiss she pulled away and said, "Now, we need to meet Grand at the Saloon."

Vin felt his stomach drop to his knees. The Saloon. He hoped the boys heard and would make sure everyone knew not to approach him. It could blow the whole deal if he were made now. He would just have to trust his teammates and hope for the best.

Arriving at the Saloon, he held the door open and watched as Drea walked in. Raising his eyebrows he shook his head. The woman looked good coming and going. A sly smile curved his lip. Certainly wouldn’t be a chore to get re-acquainted, though probably not proper procedure. Of course, when it came to Drea, there wasn’t anything proper.

Walking through the door after her, he scanned the room. He saw people from work, but no one seemed to be paying any attention to him. He released a breath he hadn’t known he was holding. The boys had gotten here first. He saw a slight nod from Buck letting him know that everything was taken care of.

<><><><><><><>

Meredith slipped out of the back room. Inez had allowed her to slip back there in order to check on her reservations, flight times and email. Stepping back into the main area, she spied Vin sitting alone at one of the corner tables. Taking a deep breath, she approached him from his blind side. Reaching out she placed a hand on his shoulder. She allowed hand to trace down his arm as she took a seat next to him. Finally as she was sitting, Meredith curled her fingers around his hand.

Vin was waiting for Drea to return. He felt a hand land on his shoulder and smiled. They were still waiting for Grand to show up. Feeling the hand being to trace down his arm as the body settled into the seat beside him, he thought Drea was looking for some more games. Expecting to look into the obsidian eyes of Drea, he found he couldn’t breathe as he instead found himself looking into the eyes he’d been dreaming of for months. What he read in those eyes, in the contact, in her fingers curling around his hand... It was everything he’d dreamed of, everything he’d hoped for, everything he wanted - love, understanding, commitment, her heart, her soul, all that she was and would be - and she was freely offering herself to him.

Opening herself to him, offering herself to him, she searched for the words. Licking her lips, Meredith began, "Vin..." Losing her nerve and sitting straighter, she decided she needed to find somewhere more private, leaning forward she asked, "Do you think we could go somewhere more... private?"

"Aw. Isn’t that sweet?" Drea said as she snaked an arm around Vin’s shoulders and sank possessively into his lap, watching in satisfaction as the woman seemed to shatter and Vin smiled. "Rich little stiff girl wants to go slumming and chose you, Vin," she continued, her snide tone cutting and condescending. "Sorry, bitch, this boy’s taken." So saying, she leaned over and kissed him, making it very obvious he was taken by her as she more or less stuck her tongue down his throat. Vin had no choice but to respond.

Meredith felt all of herself shatter in that moment. Cruel didn’t even come close to explaining what had just happened. Standing, she half-walked, half-stumbled to the ladies’ room where she promptly lost the contents of her stomach. Taking a few minutes to gather herself, she rinsed her mouth and returned to the main area, choosing a table by the door, as far away from Vin and the woman as she could. Fortunately she was still in the shadows so no one should see her or recognize her, which was good since she was shaking uncontrollably. Glancing at her watch, she was thinking of calling a cab and sitting in the airport the whole time when her friend who had earlier arrived with Ezra came over and took a seat across from her.

Vin didn’t know how he felt. Everything he’d been longing for had been offered to him and then taken away because he couldn’t tell Meredith he was undercover, couldn’t tell her the truth. God. He thought he would die when he smiled up at Drea. He’d only caught a glimpse of the devastation on Meredith’s face before Drea leaned over and tried to strangle him with her tongue. His only recourse was to respond in kind.

When the kiss finally broke, he didn’t see any sign of Meredith which was probably for the best. Right now he hated Drea and himself for what that scene must have done to Meredith. How could he explain? How could he ask her forgiveness? How could he convince her that he loved her? What a mess. But right now he had to put that out of his mind. Right now his life was on the line and he couldn’t make a mistake, not this close.

<><><><><><><>

She had seen it all while Buck danced her around the floor and made small talk - all in an effort to make Ezra jealous. She saw Meredith come out of the back room, put her hand on Vin’s shoulder and allow it to skim along his arm as she sat beside him. It hit her then that Meredith had felt the same about Vin that Vin felt about her. She was cheering the two of them on when another woman came in and settled on Vin’s lap, said something obviously cruel and then kissed the Sharpshooter.

She watched as Meredith left the main area and headed toward the restrooms. She saw several minutes later when a pale and shaking Meredith re-entered the area and made her way to a shadowy table by the door. Even from a distance she could feel the pain radiating from her friend. As the song ended, she made her way over toward the distraught woman and sat down. "Hey," she said gently, reaching out and resting her hand on Meredith’s in a gesture of comfort. "Thought you were away for two more weeks."

Meredith struggled to compose herself. Sniffing slightly, she replied, "Had something I thought I needed to do. Rearranged a few flights, got a longer layover. I’ll have to go in about 15 minutes."

She nodded at the brief but factual recitation. Meredith was definitely hurting, she never spoke like this. "Want to talk?" she asked low enough for Meredith alone to hear. She saw her friend’s chin quiver before the jaws clamped shut and didn’t miss the tears threatening to brim over. The negative shake of Meredith’s head was enough to convince her that her friend needed a distraction just now. Her quick mind ran through various options and means to distract her friend. Her eyes lighted on a very jealous looking Ezra. Meredith would have a better view of the Southerner than she would. "What’s Ezra doing?" she asked.

Grateful for her friend’s sensitivity, Meredith offered a small smile, glanced at the Undercover Agent and reported, "Trying to look bored while shooting dirty looks at Buck, jealous looks at me and..." A mischievous look crossed her face. Looking into her friend’s eyes, Meredith asked, "Ezra tends to have slight memory gaps when he’s been drinking, doesn’t he?"

She tilted her head to the side, puzzled by the question, but nodded in the affirmative.

The smile broadened a little further. "He’s doing a bit of damage to some mighty fine scotch."

She felt herself smiling. Folding her arms and leaning forward on the table, she asked, "What do you have in mind?"

Meredith leaned forward conspiratorially, "I’m not suggesting anything too bad, just the odd comment."

"Do tell," she encouraged.

"Well, given that he has memory lapses, he probably won’t remember everything that happened tonight. All you really have to say is something like, ‘after what you did last night’ or something like that."

A slow smile spread across her face. That she could do and it would drive Ezra nuts. She laughed slightly. It would serve him right for being such a chicken about acting upon his feelings for her.

The two continued to scheme for a few more minutes until Meredith had to leave.

<><><><><><><>

Vin sat numbly in his seat. Drea and Grand had finished their business. Things hadn’t gone as well as Drea would have liked and after Grand left she had told Vin she just wanted to go to her hotel. They’d get reacquainted the next day. That left Vin sitting alone in the shattered remnants of his heart. He was miserable. Everything. He had everything right there and had lost it with a smile. If he hadn’t had to pretend to enjoy Drea’s attentions...

He leaned his head back against the wall and stared at the ceiling. The boys had left a while ago. He didn’t really care. He needed to talk to Ezra, but Ezra was in no condition to talk to anyone. Vin wondered idly what he would feel when he finally allowed himself to. He also wondered if there was any way he could make it right with Meredith. He doubted it since he’d shattered her. He hadn’t missed that. He recalled her once saying she was afraid to take a chance on love because she’d had her heart shattered before and wasn’t sure she could survive it again. God, he hoped she would.

He never noticed the tears running down his cheek.

On To The Get Away | Back To Mad Lib Story Index