My Tree Love

By MMW

Desiree waited and watched. Today she would begin her plan to get Vin and Meredith together. She smiled and shook her head at the absurdity of the situation. Here she was trying to fix up her supposed boyfriend with another woman. But that’s what she was doing. Being honest with herself, she was looking forward to going home in two weeks. She missed her home, her friends and mostly she missed not having everyone around her ask about her relationship with a man whom, though she liked him well enough, she just wasn’t that serious about. If it weren’t for his teammates insisting on including them and referring to them as a couple, she probably would have gone for one of the others. But they all insisted that she and Vin were “perfect” together, so they made the best of it.

Smiling slightly she remembered the previous night. She and Vin had been up late at her place playing video games. It had become one of their favorite past times together. Desiree had quickly ruled out first person shooters as an option and they had eventually ended up with racing games and classic video games redone.  Still it was fun.  When he’d finally gotten up to leave, he’d given her a good night kiss and, once again, called her Meredith. This time, however, he heard it.

She recalled the deep red flush that crept up his neck and over his face until she could almost feel the heat coming off his crimson ears. Smiling up at him she just waited to see what he would say. After several minutes she’d taken pity on him and laughed it off asking him if he’d learned anything from his slip. He didn’t say anything in response, just apologized and left. Releasing a sigh, she just hoped that he figured it out.

But that was last night. This morning she wanted to talk with Meredith. So, stepping off the bus containing twenty young children, she moved to stand next to the young woman in question. “Hey!” she called out.

Smiling at Desiree, Meredith replied, “Hey yourself.  Ready to face the teeming wilds?”

Desiree laughed, “With this group the wildlife will hear us coming from miles away and head for the hills.”

A smile curved Meredith’s mouth and a mischievous twinkle appeared in her eye as she replied, “I was referring to this group.” Both women laughed.

“Come on,” Desiree said, encouraging Meredith to move out with her. “Let’s go get our 10 and find our guide.”

Heading off toward the group of children, Desiree and Meredith moved to collect the children they would be chaperoning.

<><><><><><><>

Ezra scowled at Desiree’s back. He had purposefully volunteered to come on this trip to the loathsome woodlands in order to spend time ascertaining Meredith’s feelings toward Vin. Now, because Desiree, who should have been spending the day with Vin, had absconded with Meredith, he was left chaperoning 10 little hellions with the Sharpshooter. Releasing a sigh, the Southerner decided he would see if he would be able to use his considerable skills of persuasion to convince the Texan to express his true feelings for the Content Editor and act upon them.

Walking toward Vin, who was currently in deep conversation with one of the children, Ezra waited for a break in the conversation. “It would appear, Mr. Tanner, that you and I are to be partners together in this expedition,” he informed his friend.

Vin allowed his eyes to drift over to where Meredith and Desiree were standing. He cursed silently to himself. Even though he knew Desiree would be here today, he had hoped to spend the day with Meredith. After so many months, he had thought his feelings for the young woman had faded, but Vin had been shaken last night when he realized he had called Desiree Meredith when kissing her good night. He winced slightly at the memory. Desiree had been great about it, but hadn’t seemed surprised by the slip. Vin had wondered if he’d done that to her before and never noticed. He hoped not. Desiree was a wonderful woman and a good friend, but he just couldn’t find the same flames of passion for her that he felt for Meredith.  She didn’t complete him.  Vin had hoped to spend the day with Meredith to see if maybe there was a chance his feelings might be returned.  

Refocusing on his friend standing nearby, Vin smiled and slapped Ezra on the arm. “Guess so, Ez,” he said. “Best get these little ‘uns together and ready to go.”

<><><><><><><>

Ezra swatted at the bugs that seemed to swarm around him. Had he not bought the bug repellent himself, he would have sworn that someone had replaced it with sugar water just to tempt every insect in the vicinity to him.  He noted, with some dismay, that his friend was either unaffected or ignoring the plague.  After one more swat, Ezra also noticed the amusement dancing in Vin’s eyes. “Honestly, Mr. Tanner, I can not believe you find these conditions acceptable by any stretch of the imagination.”

Smiling at his disgruntled companion, Vin teased, “Aw, Ez. You’re just making it worse by swattin’ at ‘em. Gets ‘em all riled up.”  He laughed at the look on the other man’s face. There were days he just loved to punch Ezra’s buttons.

“Mr. Tanner, I fail to see the humor in this situation. These vile vermin carry diseases which can be transmitted through their bites. I have a very delicate constitution which is susceptible to any and all disease,” Ezra replied indignantly.

Vin’s brows drew down as he translated Ezra’s words. Eventually he smiled and shifted his backpack from his shoulder. “Here,” he offered, pulling out his own repellent. “You can borrow mine. You probably just didn’t get one that covered all the insects out here.” Then taking a few minutes to ensure Ezra’s skin and clothes had been covered, the two set out to maintain their watch over the group.

Seeing that they were now far enough behind the children and guide that their conversation would not be easily overheard, while still being close enough to intervene should their aid become necessary, Ezra thought it time to broach the subject that had been his diversion for the past several weeks.  His plan to bring Vin and Meredith together had started off well enough. Through careful planning he had arranged for Meredith and Vin to sit next to each other once more at various gatherings as well as arrange for them to find themselves suddenly alone at various locations. In addition, he had found and sent three poems of Vin’s to Meredith anonymously. Meredith, however, never mentioned them or seemed to be affected by them. Though it was true he didn’t see her often, he had hoped for some reaction or at least a word from Sunni indicating that Meredith seemed distracted, happy or otherwise changed. Instead, no report had come to him and he didn’t want to question Sunni too closely since he wasn’t entirely sure she would agree with his plan.

“So, Mr. Tanner,” Ezra began, looking at the trail before them and only watching Vin from the corner of his eye. “What are your thoughts upon the imminent departure of Miss Masters?”

Vin frowned slightly at the question. It wasn’t like Ezra to pry, none of them really butted into each other’s lives too much, but the question itself seemed harmless enough.  Thinking about it, Vin discovered he couldn’t easily answer the question. This fact surprised him. He assumed he had some feelings one way or the other about Desiree’s departure, yet he couldn’t quite locate them at the moment. “Don’t reckon I really could say,” he said honestly.

Ezra looked at his friend. This hadn’t been the answer he expected. He would have thought he would get a definite answer one way or the other. “Surely you must have some feeling on the subject. You’ve been dating the woman for five months, surely that counts for something.”

Vin’s frown deepened. Why did everyone keep insisting that they were romantically involved? Ezra had been the lone hold out in assuming he and Desiree were destined to be together and headed toward the altar, but now it appeared that even the Undercover Agent expected more out of the relationship than there was.

Seeing his friend’s discomfiture, Ezra smiled slightly. “Perhaps we have all overestimated your attachment to the lovely Miss Masters?” he asked. He saw Vin relax slightly.

Releasing a sigh, Vin’s frown lessened. Turning to look briefly at Ezra, Vin decided to trust the agent with the truth. “Ez, there ain’t nothin’ ‘tween me and Desiree ‘cept friendship,” Vin confided, his nervousness thickening his drawl. Vin was not the type of man to discuss these sorts of things with other men, but he just needed to tell someone. “I know y’all keep thinkin’ that we’re a good couple an’ all, but it just ain’t happenin’.”

Ezra couldn’t stop the knowing smile that curved his lips. “I see,” he said simply. He allowed several moments of silence to pass while he decided whether or not he should try pushing the young man. Finally deciding he might not have another chance and that it might actually encourage Vin if someone else knew, Ezra asked, “Is it possible the delightful Miss Master’s charms have failed to work on you because there is someone else who fills your heart and dreams?”

Vin stopped dead. Reaching out, he grabbed Ezra’s arm and turned the Southerner to face him. Searching the green eyes, he cursed Ezra’s ability to hide behind masks of his own devise. Right now all Vin could read in Ezra’s eyes was curiosity. That seemed a little out of place. There should be more than curiosity. Vin wondered if Ezra knew something. “Why did you say that?” he demanded.

Ezra fought against the smile that wanted to form. Obviously he had hit the mark. The easy lies began forming on his tongue, but seeing not only suspicion but a trace of fear in his friend’s eyes, Ezra changed his mind and decided rather than trying to lead Vin into a realization, he would just lay it all out, well, all except his match-making. “Do you remember the music lecture we attended?” he asked. Seeing Vin nod he continued, “During that lecture you fell asleep.” He saw Vin’s embarrassment and watched the Texan open his mouth to explain. Holding up his hand, Ezra cut off the comments. “While you were sleeping, you spoke in your sleep.” Here Ezra paused, looking directly into his friend’s blue eyes. He read the need to know written there. “You said one word. A name,” he explained.

Vin’s mouth opened slightly as the vivid dream once more returned to his memory. “Meredith,” he whispered.

Ezra smiled at his friend and nodded.

Vin looked at Ezra, feeling his cheeks color slightly. “You’ve known all this time and didn’t say nothin’?” Vin asked, amazed at his friend’s discretion.

Ezra smiled at Vin. “Mr. Tanner,” he explained gently, “I overheard a whispered name while you slept. Were it not for the loving, passionate tone in which it was said, I never would have suspected a thing. As it was… I admit some uneasiness regarding gathering information in such a way, it is akin to invading someone’s privacy.”

Vin felt the slight color on his cheeks deepen at Ezra’s words. He understood exactly how it could be invasion of privacy. Overhearing someone else’s dreams and desires while they slept… “That why you never liked us dating?” he asked, trying to focus on something other than the knowledge he had been found out.

Ezra smiled and thought he’d let his friend off the hook slightly. He had received more open knowledge than he would have expected. Hopefully, now that Vin was aware that Ezra knew, it would be easier to bring the two together. “Among other reasons, Vin,” he answered, smiling at his friend. “But I fear we must hurry to catch up to our group. It would appear they are almost to the lunch site.”

<><><><><><><>

Desiree and Meredith wandered along behind their group. They had listened quietly to their guide for the first fifteen minutes of the hike before tiring of his patter. Somehow the fates had decreed that they ended up with the mentally unstable guide, or at least that’s what Meredith had labeled him. As their group reached each new type of tree, the guide would stop the entire group and launch into a history of the tree species, it’s uses, its scientific information and what the tree meant to various cultures. They had spotted some wildlife along the way, but their guide ignored their questions, focusing instead on the trees nearby.

Trying to think of a way to start a conversation with regard to Meredith’s feelings for Vin, Desiree finally said, “This guy sure isn’t my idea of Prince Charming.”

Meredith smiled. “Mine neither. In fact I can’t imagine anyone sane who would have him.” They both chuckled at that.

“So what, or who, would be your Prince Charming?” Desiree asked innocently.

Meredith waited for her instinctive response to fade. The description of her Prince Charming was simple and only one word – Vin. Knowing she was talking to Vin’s girlfriend, however, she knew she couldn’t answer that. Thinking about those qualities in Vin that most attracted her, she released a sigh. With a smile she answered, “Someone who understands me. Someone who is caring, loyal, patient and kind. Someone to protect me and let me protect him. Someone who will trust me with his heart, his soul and his dreams.”

Desiree smiled. “Someone like Vin?” she asked.

Meredith looked away and tried not to react. This was Vin’s girlfriend. She couldn’t very well admit that Vin was who she meant. Avoiding answering, she simply replied, “Someone who completes me.” She saw Desiree about to mention something else and feared she would try to continue the conversation. Looking for anything to distract her friend, Meredith noticed one of the children wander over to the side of the trail and bend down to touch a mushroom. Quickening her pace, Meredith reached the child and stopped them before their hand reached it. She patiently explained that some mushrooms were poisonous and even dangerous to touch.

Desiree smiled slightly. She hadn’t gotten as much information as she wanted, but it was a start. She’d have to see if she could rekindle their conversation at lunch.

Arriving at the lunch area well before the other group, the two women ensured all those in their care were settled and eating before choosing seats on a fallen log for themselves. “So, your Prince Charming,” Desiree began again, opening her brown paper sack. “Someone who completes you?”

Meredith took a bite of her sandwich. Completely avoiding the dangerous topic, she related, “You know, this guide reminds me of a little girl I babysat once.”

Desiree knew what Meredith was doing, but realized she wouldn’t get any more from the young woman just now. “You babysat a kid obsessed with trees?” she asked, a smile in her voice.

Meredith laughed. “No,” she explained, “she asked me for a story and I picked up “The Princess And The Pea” only she misheard me and thought I’d said ‘The Princess And The Tree’.”

Desiree burst into laughter. “Oh, now that would be a test even I could pass,” she gasped out. “I’m pretty sure I’d notice if I was sleeping on a tree.”

Meredith laughed harder, shaking her head in agreement. “Of course, for our guide it would be the reverse,” she observed, her laughter not ceasing.

“Oh, no,” Desiree agreed, her laughter softening slightly, though not abating. “He’d have to marry the tree. Can’t you just imagine that?” she asked, the mental image created in her mind sent her into new peals of laughter.

Meredith’s laughter increased right along with Desiree’s. “Oh, yes,” she gasped. “He’s the Prince who longs for a tree, a real tree to marry.”

“And he goes out to all the lands,” Desiree continued.

“But he’s disappointed because he can’t find a real tree anywhere,” Meredith added.

“So he returns home to his mommy and daddy,” Desiree predicted.

“Then one day a bedraggled looking tree knocks at the gates to the castle,” Meredith further explained.

“And the Queen invited the tree in. But she wanted to know if it was a real tree so she piled up a bunch of mattresses on top of a pea,” Desiree continued.

“Nope,” Meredith corrected, “a bough.”  Both women were having trouble breathing and speaking because they were laughing so hard at this point, but they continued the story to the end.

“And the tree explained the next morning that it hadn’t slept well so the Queen knew it was a real tree,” Desiree finished.

“And the tree and the Prince were married and lived happily ever after,” Meredith appended.

Both women were laughing uncontrollably now. It probably wasn’t really that funny, but it had struck them as such. With tears streaming down their faces, they were both gasping for breath. First Desiree and then Meredith fell off the log upon which they had been sitting. This caused both women to laugh even harder, curling up on the ground and holding their sides.

It was in this condition that Vin and Ezra found the two women. Looking at each other, Vin simply said, “I don’t want to know.”

On To Almost | Back To Mad Lib Story Index