Two Part Harmony

By MMW

 Pulling on his gauntlets, Vin released a sigh. Of all the jobs he and his friends had performed as part of their duties, this had to be his least favorite - princess rescues. Checking to make sure he had all of his equipment, he quickly mounted Peso. Settling into the saddle, he turned as he heard the chink of Chris' armor. Looking into the green eyes of his friend, Vin said nothing. He let his anger and disgust at this assignment show in his sky-blue eyes.

 Wincing slightly at his friend's obviously foul mood, Chris stopped just out of arm's reach. "You're the only one who can do this," he offered, his voice flat and factual.

 "Yep," came Vin's terse reply.

 "Would have sent Ez, but he and Sunni still aren't back from their vacation in the North country."

 "Yep."

 Releasing a sigh, Chris looked at the dirt. "Look, Vin," he said, talking to his best friend rather than one of his knights, "I know you hate the whole princess rescue thing, but you're not only the best man for the job, you're the only one without a wife."

 "JD."

 Chris looked at Vin in disbelief. "You want me to send JD to take on a harmonic dragon?"

 Vin looked into the distance and released a sigh. "No. Reckon not. Just ain't lookin' forward ta getting' saddled with some useless, whiney thing 's not fit ta …" Looking at the dirt, he turned his resigned eyes to his best friend. "Don't reckon there's a chance in Hell of there bein' another Princess like the ones y'all have. Figure all's left are the wishy-washy, wimpy ones." His voice softening to almost a whisper he finished, "Kinda wanted a real woman."

 Chris felt a pang of sorrow and regret for his friend. He knew how rare it was as a knight to find true love with the princess you rescued, and every knight had to rescue a princess. The unfortunate side-effect was that many times it was the second or third daughter of the king that got kidnapped and as a reward the knight was married to the woman they had just rescued. In this case, a harmonic dragon had been attracted to the king's second daughter due to her flute playing. All the knights in the area she'd been taken were already married and the call had gone out to the Seven for one of them to rescue the woman.

 Unable to turn away from people in real need, Chris had agreed. He knew Vin was more than capable of taking on the harmonic dragon, but he was also very aware of the fact Vin wasn't really ready to settle down yet. Releasing a sigh, he watched his best friend ride away and wondered if there was any chance Vin could be as lucky with his princess as Chris had been with his.

<><><><><><><>Vin allowed Peso to set the pace. He knew his reluctance to quicken his pace had less to do with facing the dragon than it did with meeting the princess. Still, there might be some hope. He knew very little of the kingdom to which he was riding or its king and his family. For all he knew he might find the princess appealing, but more likely he would find her tiresome and spoiled. Still, there was the battle with the harmonic dragon coming up and he would need to find all the joy he could to face it.

 Pulling out his harmonica, he began playing various tunes. The music helped him and it wasn't long before his spirits were lifted and joy began flowing through him. Yes, the dragon didn't stand a chance.

 Finally reaching the strong mansion that housed the dragon, Vin ground-tied Peso, took his harmonica and headed toward the mansion.

 Approaching cautiously, he paused as he heard a sweet sound filter out toward him. He recognized the sound of a flute. Though the player was far from professional, the sound was pleasing to the ear and the melody seemed to strike a chord within his soul. The notes became as living things to Vin, carrying him on swells of imagination and emotion, each phrase resonating with his soul and completing pieces of him he didn't know were missing. "What could this be?" he wondered. "Such music…"

 Remembering his mission, he continued on toward the large house. Finding a way in, he cautiously moved through the rooms being led by the music. Approaching a large room that looked remarkably like a ballroom, he stopped and evaluated the scene.

 In the room he first spotted the harmonic dragon. This dragon had become soft in his living and would offer little challenge. Continuing his scan, he noted the pile of jewels and treasure piled around the room. Well, if nothing else, I'll emerge from this a wealthy man, he thought. Then continuing his scan to find the source of the music, his breath caught in his throat as he spotted the musician. Never had he seen something so beautiful.

 In a corner stood a longhaired woman playing a golden flute, her eyes were closed and she was swaying slightly, a ray of sun shown through a stained glass window causing the light to dance around her in time with her music. He drank in the sight before him as a thirsty man drank life-giving water. It took him several minutes to register the fact that the woman's eyes were fixed on his, though her playing hadn't stopped.

 Feeling his heartbeat quicken as he looked into her eyes, he knew he'd lost his heart and soul to this woman. Following her eyes as she looked downward, he noticed the chain which held her shackled to the floor. Approaching cautiously, he noted the chains and sounded them slightly. This was no ordinary chain. This chain would only open in the presence of harmony.

 Glancing upward, he looked into the eyes of the woman with whom he wished to share his life. Without uttering a word, he watched her nod her head that she understood. Lifting his harmonica to his lips, Vin began playing with her. Though they played no known tune, they allowed their emotions to flow through them and their music creating a wonderful, perfect harmony.

 The chain released and fell to the floor with a clank. The unwelcome sound caused the dragon to stir. Releasing a loud roar, the dragon lunged toward the knight and princess. His first instinct was to draw his sword and protect the princess, but such actions were futile in the presence of a harmonic dragon. Stepping forward, he was startled to find himself, not in front of the princess, but beside her. He saw a flash in her eyes, anger at the thought she would be unable to help herself.

 Raising an eyebrow at the spirit of the woman, for she was a real woman, not a lady as he had feared, Vin allowed a small smile to curve his lips as he raised his harmonica to his lips once more. Beginning a sprightly air, the princess set the pace and bright lively tone of the music. Joining in, Vin and the Princess dodged and weaved around the dragon, avoiding sharp claws and snapping teeth. Their joyful music began taking effect and the dragon weakened, soon taking its last breath.

 The music faded as the duo stopped to catch their breath, both sets of eyes focused on the carcass of the dragon before them. Looking up, their eyes locked once more. "Meredith," she said simply.

 "Vin," he returned. Then stepping around the carcass of the dragon, he offered his arm to the woman who had stolen his heart. As she smiled up at him, he felt his heart race once more. The slight pressure of her hand on his arm caused a jolt of desire to flare within him. Glancing quickly back at the woman, he could see the same desire in her eyes. Perhaps marrying this princess wouldn't be so bad.

 Silently making their way to Peso, Vin was surprised once more when Meredith walked up to the cantankerous horse and was immediately accepted. Peso just didn't make friends, but he seemed to like Meredith. Vin smiled, taking it as one more sign Meredith would be his.

 Mounting, he helped her settle behind him, nearly moaning as she wrapped her arms around his waist. He never wanted to leave those arms, though he would very much prefer it if there were fewer clothes between them. Setting off at a trot, he followed Meredith's directions back to her home kingdom.

 Approaching the palace, they were greeted by her whole family. The King and Queen stepped out and embraced their daughter before her siblings claimed their turn to tease her.

 "Thank you for returning my daughter," the King said. "Whatever I can give to you will be yours," he offered as thanks.

 His eyes having never left Meredith, Vin replied, "Then might I have the hand of your daughter, Meredith, in marriage?"

 The King eyed the young man before him, his smile dimming slightly. Looking over at his second-oldest daughter, he noted her eyes were never far from the knight either. Figuring she could do worse, he replied, "I fear her hand, and her heart are her own to bestow upon whom she will. I have no say in those affairs."

 At this statement, Vin looked up at the King in surprise. Allow a woman to choose her own husband? That was unheard of in all the kingdoms. Looking once more at his Princess, Vin asked, "Then might we have some time alone?"

 Smiling at the young man, the King replied, "Certainly. There is a path just over there that leads to her favorite spot to sit." So saying, he exchanged a look with his wife who smiled knowingly in return and the two herded the remainder of their family once more into the castle. The Queen laid a hand on Meredith's arm and indicated for her to stay with Vin.

 Turning shyly toward her rescuer, Meredith stepped forward. With a tilt of her head she silently asked if he wished to walk.

 Offering his arm once more, Vin led Meredith down the path toward her favorite quiet spot. Never one for making conversation, Vin decided to ask a question, "So, how did a capable woman like you get captured by a harmonic dragon?"

 Meredith blushed slightly and smiled. "Well," she began sheepishly, "it's kind of a long story. You see…"

 As she explained her capture, they both began to relax and discovered that talking was very easy to do. The more they talked the more they realized they had much in common and the more surely their hearts and souls became intertwined. Before they were aware of the passage of time, they were watching a beautiful sunset.

 As the tone of the world changed to a mellow red-gold color, Vin finally asked the question that had been at the forefront of his thoughts all day. "Meredith," he asked tentatively, looking deeply into her eyes, "would you consent to be my wife?"

 Meredith smiled up at him. "I would settle for nothing less," she replied. Reaching upward, she allowed her hand to glide along his jaw and entwine itself in his hair. Applying only the lightest pressure, she felt his arms encircle her as his head dipped. Their lips met in a glorious kiss like none other either had experienced.

 The kiss broke as the sound of Meredith's brother calling them to dinner echoed around them.

 Returning to the castle, they walked into the dining hall to discover it set for a marriage banquet. Rolling her eyes at the knowing grins on her parents' faces, Meredith started laughing.

 "I don't understand," Vin said looking around the room wondering whose marriage feast this could be.

 Smiling at her betrothed, Meredith replied, "This is for us. My parents seem to have known before we did that I would accept you."

 Vin blushed slightly and looked at the floor before looking over at the smiling parents and nodding his head in thanks.

 Their ceremony was simple and short, the feast was longer and fun. Soon, though not soon enough for either Vin or Meredith, the two found themselves alone in her rooms. Suddenly unsure of herself, Meredith wandered over to the windows and opened them, breathing in the clean night air.

 Feeling his heart jump at the sight of his wife - his wife, he thought to himself, what a wonderful thought - at the sight of his wife outlined in moonlight, Vin walked over to stand behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist and drawing her body against his. Feeling her relax in his arms, he started kissing her neck and was rewarded with a soft moan. He took advantage as Meredith tilted her head to expose more of her throat to him. Allowing his hands to begin to stroke up and down her sides, he could only smile at the small noises and sighs she released.

 Turning in his arms, Meredith tilted her head upward, offering him her lips. Not wasting a moment's time, Vin leaned down and claimed those sweet, full lips as his own, his hands gliding over her body even as he felt he hands exploring him. Deepening the kiss, he sought entrance to her mouth with his tongue and released a small sigh of his own as his request was granted. The interplay of their tongues combined with the explorations of their hands soon had the blood rushing in Vin's ears and he was no longer happy feeling her clothes under his hands. He wanted to feel Meredith, to touch her everywhere, to learn every inch of her body and feast upon it.

 Her own need building, Meredith began pulling at his clothing even while he attempted to remove hers. Finally releasing twin sighs of frustration, each removed their own clothes as their mouths once more locked hungrily upon each other and Vin led them to the bed.

 Without her clothes on, Vin could see the flush of passion building across Meredith's skin and felt his own need become more urgent. Sliding a hand down her belly, he allowed his fingers to dip into her center and smiled to find her as ready as he was himself. There would be time for gentleness and exploration later, right now the fires of passion were consuming them too completely for tenderness.

 Allowing his hand to travel up the length of her body, he stopped and ran his roughened thumb over her hardened nipple. Smiling at the low moan the movement elicited, he almost cried when he heard her gasp, "Take me now, Vin! Make me yours."

 Not wishing to tease his lady, Vin complied, sliding easily into her. He allowed a low moan to escape him as he felt her hot tightness around him. Never had the act of sex felt so good, so right, so perfect. But then, this wasn't an act of sex, it was the bonding of their souls and affirmation of their love.

 Feeling her legs wrap around him, he began moving within her. Their rhythm was a perfect match and soon the ecstasy that had been building exploded.

 "Vin!" she cried as her muscles clenched around him, bringing him to his own climax.

 "Meredith!" he cried out, continuing slow thrusts until they were both completely spent.

 Collapsing on the bed beside his wife, Vin took her in his arms, kissing her before they both drifted into sleep.

 "Vin?" a voice said. "Vin!" it repeated more sharply.

 "What?" Vin asked sitting up quickly. Looking around the room, he ran a hand through his hair and thought Aw Hell.

 

"Mr. Tanner," Ezra stated looking down at the just awoken man. "Remind me to never bring you to another lecture. I mean really, if you can't stay awake for something as fascinating as musical development through the dark and middle ages, however do you expect to enjoy any sort of civilized activity.

 Cursing that it had all been a dream Vin just stood up and turned his back on Ezra, making his way down the row of chairs so he could get out of the lecture hall. He didn't bother to turn back, still frustrated over finding out he'd been dreaming again and puzzled about what he could do about it. His thoughts of Meredith were becoming more persistent and more detailed. Releasing a sigh, he reminded himself, but nothing would ever come of it.

 Had he looked behind him, he would have seen Ezra smiling and a mischievous glint in his eye. Meredith, eh? He thought to himself. It would appear our shy Sharpshooter has feelings for the quiet Content Editor. I wonder what Sunni would make of that?

 

On To Definitions | Back To Mad Lib Story Index