Meredith's W. O. W. Challenge Answer For "Convoy"

Convoy

Disclaimer: The Magnificent Seven belong to Mirsch, Trilogy, etc. Little Britches AU belongs to J. K. Poffenberger and S. Berry. The Little Britches ATF AU belongs to Barbaretta Hayden.
Challenge: Word Of The Week Challenge "Convoy"
Universe: Little Britches ATF
Characters: Buck, Vin, JD


Convoy
By MMW

Buck wiped his hands on the dishtowel having just finished the lunch dishes. With a sigh, he draped the damp towel over the handle of the over and listened for the sound of the boys.

His brow furrowed as he realized the house was silent - too silent. Much, much too silent. Moving out toward the living room, he was expecting to see the boys. Instead he found a neatly cleaned room.

Moving down the hallway, he checked in the boy's room, thinking maybe they'd gone there to play. Again, he found nothing.

Wandering down the hall toward the office, he poked his head in and found Chris typing away busily at the computer. Clearing his throat, Buck waited for the blond to turn toward him before asking, "You seen the boys?"

Chris glanced over his shoulder as Buck asked his question. "Yeah," he replied. "They were complaining about being bored, so I sent them outside to play. Figured they could use the time running around as a way to tire them out."

"Oh," Buck said, relieved to know where the two tykes were. Deciding he would go out and keep an eye on the two, buck left his friend to his work and headed once more toward the kitchen.

As he stepped into the room, he noticed that something was different. Using his observation skills, he saw the cupboard door to the cereal was opened slightly now, where when he left it had been closed firmly. Glancing toward the door to the outside, he noted that too was slightly ajar.

Walking over to the cereal cupboard, he checked out the contents. Seeing the box for the Cheerios had been left open, he closed the box and then the door. Straightening, he headed toward the door and stepped outside.

Glancing around the yard, he felt slightly uneasy when he could find no sign of the boys. Walking around to the other side of the house, he looked there as well. Still, there was no sign of the duo.

Wondering if the boys had gone to the corral, he headed off in that direction and began to worry when the two small forms he sought were missing.

Standing still and taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes to try and think of where else the boys might be. It was only a moment later when he heard two high-pitched giggles coming from around the back of the barn.

Walking along the side of the building, he paused by the corner when he saw the two small boys laying in the dirt, a cup full of cereal between them.

"Convoy leader to the rear guard. Convoy leader to the rear guard," Vin said.

"Rear guard to convoy leader, go ahead," JD responded.

"Be warned there's rough road ahead. Suspect something might be amiss," Vin responded.

Buck eyes widened as he heard Vin use the word amiss. Obviously the time they were spending with Ezra was affecting the boy's vocabulary.

"Roger that, convoy leader," JD replied. "Hey Vin?" the little brunette said, dropping the formal talk. "This one ain't gots a cheerio. Should be give him one?"

Vin looked closely at something on the ground between the two boys. Tilting his head to the side in a perfect imitation of his foster father, Vin studied the situation before saying. "Nope.. That's an enemy!"

JD gasped in glee. "We best get him out of there then."

Curious as to what exactly was going on, he approached a little closer and was finally abel to see the line of cereal making its way through the dirt. With another step, he realized that the moving cereal pieces were being carried by a long line of ants.

The End


Feedback to MMW
Back to Meredith's W. O. W. Challenge Answers Main Page
Back to Meredith's Magnificent Seven Home Page