Meredith's W. O. W. Challenge Answer for "Ravage"

Reading Lesson

Disclaimer: The Magnificent Seven belong to Mirsch, Trilogy, etc. Barbaretta Hayden created the Little Britches ATF AU in her story "Dreaming Of Angels". MOG created the ATF AU in her work "A Birthday In The Present". J. K. Poffenberger and S. Berry created the Little Britches AU.
Challenge: Word Of The Week - Ravage
Universe: Little Britches ATF AU


Reading Lesson
By MMW

"What are you doing?" JD asked, as he stepped up behind Vin.

"Gotta find a book to read," Vin replied distractedly, looking at the books on the shelf.

"Why don't you read one of our books?"

A heavy sigh escaped the seven-year-old. "Teacher said I gotta read somethin' I've never read before. I read everything we got already."

"Oh," JD said walking up to the bookshelves and beginning to help Vin find a book. His face lit up as he found a paperback. "Vin! What about this one. It's got a pirate on the front."

Vin took a look, feeling excited at the thought of reading about pirates. Turning and taking a look, he frowned slightly. "It's awful thick, JD," he said. "And it's got a girl on the cover too."

JD looked at the cover again and saw Vin was right. "Guess you're right," he said a little disappointed.

Vin sighed and took the book anyway. He'd been looking and nothing really seemed interesting. Flipping open to the middle he began to read.

"Read it out loud!" JD encouraged.

Suppressing a groan, Vin settled on the floor and began reading. "The cool silver light of the full moon gilded the leaves and grass as the sultry air clung desperately to all around it. The pale reflection of the white stone revealed a starkness that man knew was contrary to the lush form within. That beautiful female form had caught his eye long ago and haunted his every waking and sleeping thought. He had claimed treasure. He had claimed honor. He would now claim the woman who had stolen his soul. First he would penetrate the walls of the mansion, and take his prize. Brining her back to the lagoon where he had hidden his skiff, he would ravage her."

"What's ravage?" JD asked. There were several words he hadn't really understood, but that one sounded interesting.

Vin looked up into JD's brown eyes. "I don't know."

"Do you think Mrs. Potter knows?" he asked.

Vin shrugged and headed to the kitchen to find out.

<><><><><><><>

Later That Night

Chris walked into the house, tired and exhausted. The meeting had run late and he just wanted to eat something and go to bed.

"Hey, Stud," Buck greeted, some of his normal joviality lacking from his voice.

"Buck," Chris replied, heading over to get the plate of food that had been left him.

"We have a little problem."

Chris pinched the bridge of his nose as he turned. "What now?"

"Well," Buck explained, "It appears Vin was told he had to read something he had never read before for homework. Seems the boy figured he'd take one of our books from the living room."

"So?"

Buck dropped the book on the table. Chris took one look and closed his eyes. "Look, Stud," he began. "I don't mind taking the heat for you on some things, but don't ever make me face Gloria Potter again and try and explain how one of your books was within reach of our two small boys."

The End


Feedback to MMW
Back To Meredith's W. O. W. Challenge Answer Main Page
Back to Meredith's Magnificent Seven Homepage