The Magnificent Seven - ATF AU

Courage
By MMW

Disclaimer: Without prejudice, the characters of "The Magnificent Seven" belong to MGM, Trilogy, etc and are used here without permission. No copyright i infringement is intended.
Note: The quote used in this scene is said by Mary Anne Radmacher-Hershey.
Characters: Nettie, ? (fill in your favorite of the seven)
Rating: Suitable for all ages
Feedback:Email Feedback


Courage
By MMW

Nettie stood in the shadow of the doorway and watched. For the first time since they stepped into her life, one of her boys, one of Team Seven, had suffered a potentially career-ending injury.

Since the others had been needed at the ATF, she had taken over the role of daytime caregiver and chauffeur. A part of her reveled in being able to help those who had done so much for her, but another part ached for the man who was even now struggling and failing to complete the set task.

“That’s time for today,” the physical therapist informed, helping her patient off the floor and into the wheelchair.

Nettie tuned out the voice of the therapist as she took in the exhausted form in the chair. Sweat had dampened his hair and pain was etched in every line of his face. What pierced her heart, though, was the defeat and despair she read in the expressive eyes.

When the therapist stepped away to prepare the rub-down table, Nettie stepped out of the shadows and crossed to her charge.

“Miss Nettie,” he greeted.

The corner of her mouth twitched up. That had been her first victory, finally convincing all seven men to call her Miss Nettie rather than Mrs. Wells. “How’d it go?” she asked.

A heavy sigh escaped the injured man as his head dropped and his eyes locked on the floor. “I can stare down the barrel of a gun and not break a sweat; work through a gunfight without batting an eyes; I can even fill out government forms in triplicate, but this…” His voice was little more than a whisper when he continued. “I don’t know if I can do this,” he admitted.

Nettie looked at the bowed head and frowned. It wasn’t anything worse than what she’d expected, but she still didn’t like hearing the note of defeat. “So you decided you’re a coward,” she taunted, her voice void of compassion.

Angry eyes snapped up to meet hers, just as she expected they would. She knew the type of men her boys were and knew none of them would take to being called a coward. Before he could say anything, she quoted, “ Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’.” She watched as the fire of anger died out and was replaced by acceptance and determination.

“Thanks, Miss Nettie,” he offered.

Before any other words could be exchanged, the therapist returned. “You ready for your rubdown?” she asked.

“Yeah,” he agreed.

Nettie listened as the duo walked away, knowing she would have at least another ten minutes to wait.

“Tough day today,” the therapist stated, setting the breaks on the chair.

“Yeah,” the injured man agreed, pushing himself out of the chair. As he settled on the table, his eyes briefly met Nettie’s. “But, I’ll try again tomorrow,” he finished.

Nettie nodded and smiled.

End.


To The Magnificent Seven ATF Page
To The Magnificent Seven Alphabetic Story Index
To The Magnificent Seven Main Page
To the main fanfiction page
Email Feedback