October 2007 40 Prompts Challenge - Prompt 36: Forward

Of All The Luck
By MMW

Disclaimer: The characters of "The Magnificent Seven" belong to MGM, Trilogy, etc and are used here without permission. No copyright infringement is intended.
Universe: Weapons Control Bureau
Characters: JD, Chris
Rating: Suitable for all ages
Feedback: Email MMW


Of All The Luck
By MMW

Chris leaned back in his chair and ran his hands over his face once more. With a small shake of his head, he tried to process everything JD said and what it meant for their latest case. For three months they'd been trying to find an in with Gregory Richards, but had been shut out cold. Unable to move forward with the case, it almost got moved to the back burner, but, apparently, their cold case had just gotten hot again. "Go through it one more time," he commanded. "Just the highlights."

With a nod, JD began his tale. "I went to the bank to deposit my check today. While there, three armed and masked men entered the bank and told us all to get on the ground. The woman in line behind me began to panic and cry, not getting to the ground. That seemed to set off one of the robbers and he aimed at her, threatening to shoot her if she didn't get down. I got between the gunman and the woman and talked them both down. We'd just gotten onto the floor when the police moved in and managed to get everything under control. While I was waiting to give my statement, the woman came up to me with a man she introduced as her husband. It was Gregory Richards. They both thanked me profusely and asked me to come to dinner as a thank you. They wouldn't take no for an answer, so I'll be having dinner with them tomorrow night."

Silence weighed heavily in the office for a few minutes before Chris finally finished analyzing all of the angles of this new twist. "OK. Here's what you're going to do..."

End


To MMW's 40 Prompts Challenge page
To MMW's Alphabetic Story Index
To MMW's Stories by Character Index
To MMW's Recent Updates Page
Email MMW