The Magnificent Seven

Urban Legends Seven Style:
The Ghostly Hitchhiker

By MMW

Disclaimer: The characters of "The Magnificent Seven" belong to MGM, Trilogy, etc. and are used here without permission. No copyright infringement is intended.
Notes: This is just a short little scene that popped into my head. I'm not sure where it came from or where it was going.
Characters: Vin, Chris
Rating: Suitable for all ages
Universe: ATF
Feedback: To MMW


Urban Legends Seven Style: The Ghostly Hitchhiker
By MMW

“It was a dark and stormy night,” Vin muttered as the rain pelted against the windshield.

“What?” Chris asked from the seat next to him.

“Nothing,” Vin replied as a bank of fog rose suddenly dropping visibility to almost nothing. A slight variation in the dense, white mass caused him to slam on his brakes.

“What?!” Chris cried, glaring at his friend. He saw Vin motion outside and, turning, he saw her. At the side of the road stood a beautiful young lady, obviously needing some help. By the time Chris turned to suggest they help her, Vin was already out of the car, circling around. Opening his door, Chris joined Vin.

“Help you, ma’am?” Vin asked.

“Thank you,” the woman replied, relief evident in her voice. “My car broke down and I really need to get home to my parents’ house.”

“Well, we’d be glad to help you,” Chris assured. Seeing the uncertainty in her face, he pulled out his federal ID. “We’re federal agents, ma’am. We won’t hurt you.”

Glancing from Chris to Vin and checking their ID’s, she nodded her head and allowed them to escort her to the Jeep. She climbed in back as Chris and Vin settled in the front.

“Just tell me where to go,” Vin instructed with a smile.

Following the directions the girl gave, they arrived at an old farmstead that still had a few lights burning. As they pulled into the driveway, the fog lifted, though the drizzle continued. Turning to let her know they’d arrived, Vin and Chris were stunned to find she had disappeared. As they looked at each other trying to figure out what had happened, they heard someone call out to them.

Turning, they spotted an older gentleman standing on his front porch holding a shot gun.

Stepping out of the car with their hands up, Vin and Chris called a greeting and explained what they were doing there. The man looked stricken as he indicated they should sit down in the chairs on the porch. Slowly, he explained that about twenty years ago on a foggy Halloween night, his daughter had been driving home. She was very conscientious and always made her curfew. That night her car had broken down and, in trying to make her curfew, she decided to hitchhike. The man who picked her up raped and murdered her. Now, every Halloween night his daughter’s ghost would flag down a passing car and ask them to take her home.

Vin and Chris felt chills run down their spine at the story. Thanking the man, they got into the Jeep and left. Looking in the rear view mirror, Vin saw the ghostly image of the girl waving at them.


To Meredith's Magnificent Seven ATF AU homepage
To Meredith's Magnificent Seven Story Index
To Meredith's Magnificent Seven Main Page
Email MMW