The Magnificent Seven
Meditation On Betrayal 1

By MMW

Disclaimer: The Magnificent Seven belong to MGM, Trilogy, etc.
Summary: Josiah reflects upon the events in "Obsession".
Character: Josiah
Universe:: Old West
Rating: FRC - Fan Rated Suitable For Children
Feedback: To MMW


Meditation On Betrayal – 1
By MMW

It’s an odd thing, betrayal. What is it really? The loss of faith? The loss of trust? The shattering of a sacred bond tying one person to another?

Looking back I sometimes wonder how I survived some of the betrayals of my life. But then there are all sorts of betrayal; everything from telling a secret to the ultimate betrayals. Reckon I’ve been guilty of just about all of them.

We have a forgiving God and we are to be like Him. This means we need to forgive betrayals as well. After all, Jesus suffered the ultimate betrayal – when he was hanging on the cross the Spirit left him, leaving only a man to bear the weight of a world’s sins. How do you forgive God when He betrays you? But it happened.

Of course, God gave us the capacity to forgive, just not forget. But how can you do one without the other? Especially in a betrayal?

That leads me back to my original question, what is betrayal?

When someone betrays you, whether they really do whatever you’re blaming them for or not, you lose trust in them; you lose a part of yourself, of your security, your shield. It doesn’t matter if the person really did what you’re accusing them of or not. If you imagine someone betrayed you, it’s every bit as bitter, every bit as emotionally true as if they had done what you imagine them doing. So why can we get over some betrayals and not others?

Perhaps there are degrees of betrayal in life. Vin leaving Chris to go with Charlotte. Chris saw that as a betrayal; Vin didn’t. But they got over it.

Now, Chris not believing Vin and choosin’ Ella instead of us… Even Chris hasn’t forgiven himself for that betrayal. The man not only betrayed his friends, but his family and himself. How can you forgive yourself?

As for me… Well, I forgive Chris. Man’s gotta live his own life after all. Course don’t help much when I think on other betrayals. How am I supposed to forgive Pappy for what he did? How am I supposed to forgive myself for not being there for Hannah. Not being there to uphold my sister when she needed me, that’s a betrayal I can’t forgive. Wonder how God does it?

All I know is forgiveness sure is a better feeling. Better go see if Chris is ready to forgive a little.

End


To Meredith's Magnificent Seven Old West Fanfic Page
To Meredith's Magnificent Seven Main Page
To Meredith's Fanfic Page
Email MMW